Angular momentum of a rotating disk

In summary, the angular momentum of the 1.2kg, 3.6cm diameter rotating disk is 1.194, with the correct calculation of I = 1/2 m(r^2) = .018m. This was initially missed due to a mistake in the conversion of cm to m. The correct calculation was found after some trial and error and assistance from another person.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

What is the angular momentum of the 1.2kg, 3.6cm diameter rotating disk in the figure below?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/alg5045/ex13-47.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using L = Iw. w = 600 rev/min x (1 min/60s) x 2*pi radians = 62.832. Then I found I = 1/2 m(r^2) = .019. Then L = 1.194, but it wasn't right.

Physics news on Phys.org
convert cm to m. looks like you made a mistake in the conversion. 1.8cm = 0.018m

Last edited:
Grrrr...I thought I did. I did kinda. I did I = 1/2 (1.2) (.18^2)...instead of (.018). I got it.

aligass2004 said:
Grrrr...I thought I did. I did kinda. I did I = 1/2 (1.2) (.18^2)...instead of (.018). I got it.

cool. yeah, just noticed the 0.18. When I first posted, I thought you left it as cm... but then I realized that that didn't make sense with the L you'd gotten...

I'll catch u later aligass2004. got to sleep.

Night! :)

Related to Angular momentum of a rotating disk

1. What is angular momentum of a rotating disk?

Angular momentum of a rotating disk is a measure of the rotational motion of the disk around its axis. It is a vector quantity that depends on the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of the disk.

2. How is angular momentum related to rotational inertia?

Angular momentum is directly proportional to the rotational inertia of a rotating disk. This means that as the rotational inertia increases, the angular momentum also increases, and vice versa.

3. What happens to the angular momentum of a rotating disk when its rotational speed changes?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the angular momentum of a rotating disk remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on it. Therefore, if the rotational speed increases, the radius of the disk must decrease, and vice versa, in order to maintain a constant angular momentum.

4. How does the mass distribution of a rotating disk affect its angular momentum?

The mass distribution of a rotating disk affects its angular momentum by changing its rotational inertia. A disk with a more spread out mass distribution will have a higher rotational inertia and therefore a higher angular momentum compared to a disk with a more concentrated mass distribution.

5. Can the angular momentum of a rotating disk be changed?

Yes, the angular momentum of a rotating disk can be changed by applying external torques to the disk. These torques can come from various sources, such as friction, gravity, or an external force. By changing the external torque, the angular momentum of the disk can be increased, decreased, or even reversed.