Angular Momentum Incorrect Graph?

In summary, the homework statement is to find the total magnitude of angular momentum Ho of the particle about point O. The velocity of the particle is 5.5 m/s and the answer is 43.04.
gv3
1. Homework Statement
Determine the total magnitude of angular momentum Ho of the particle about point O. The velocity of the particle is 5.5 m/s.
engineering 4.png

Homework Equations

Ho= r x mv

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 43.04. My question is, isn't the graph wrong? If you take the magnitude of the vector shown in the graph, it doesn't equal 5.5 it equals 6. Without the proper vector from the graph isn't the problem unsolvable? I only knew the answer because i was asked this question twice.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only vector I can see indicated in the figure is V, which is shown to be directed along the path AB. AB itself is not the velocity vector, it just indicates its direction.

gneill said:
The only vector I can see indicated in the figure is V, which is shown to be directed along the path AB. AB itself is not the velocity vector, it just indicates its direction.
But isn't that vector 2i-4j-4k?

gv3 said:
But isn't that vector 2i-4j-4k?
A position vector from A to B might be that, and it would have the same direction as V. But it is not V.

gneill said:
A position vector from A to B might be that, and it would have the same direction as V. But it is not V.
My mistake you are right. How would the velocity vector be found then? My professor in his lecture notes looks like he just took the direction of V shown.

All you need to take from the vector AB is its direction. Are you familiar with unit vectors? Can you form a unit vector that has the same direction as AB?

gneill said:
All you need to take from the vector AB is its direction. Are you familiar with unit vectors? Can you form a unit vector that has the same direction as AB?
yeah it would just be the position vector divided by the magnitude.

Related to Angular Momentum Incorrect Graph?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is dependent on an object's mass, velocity, and distance from an axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated as the product of an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotation) and its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates around an axis).

3. What is an incorrect graph of angular momentum?

An incorrect graph of angular momentum would be one that does not accurately represent the relationship between angular momentum and its contributing factors, such as mass, velocity, or distance from an axis of rotation. This could be due to incorrect data or incorrect calculations.

4. Why is it important to have a correct graph of angular momentum?

A correct graph of angular momentum is important because it allows us to accurately understand and analyze the rotational motion of objects. It can help us make predictions about an object's behavior and can also be used to design and optimize machines and structures that rely on rotational motion.

5. How can I ensure that my graph of angular momentum is correct?

To ensure that your graph of angular momentum is correct, make sure to use accurate and reliable data and perform the necessary calculations correctly. It is also important to understand the principles and equations behind angular momentum and how they relate to each other. Double-checking your work and seeking feedback from others can also help ensure the accuracy of your graph.