Angular momentum and perfectly inelastic collision

In summary, the problem involves a ball being thrown at an apparatus, causing it to rotate. The ball has a mass of 235 g and is thrown at a velocity of 26 m/s. The apparatus catches the ball, resulting in a kinetic frictional force of 17 Newtons on the bearing of the ball. The bearing has a radius of 2.5 cm and the apparatus has a distance of 1.2 m between the catcher and the axis of rotation. The catcher has a mass of 408 g and the rest of the apparatus has negligible mass. The problem is to determine how many revolutions the apparatus will make before it stops rotating. To solve this problem, you can use the equations for angular momentum and torque,
cozzbp
Hi, I just don't really understand rotational motion very well, and I don't know how to proceed with this problem.

Homework Statement

You throw a 235 g ball 26 m/s at the apparatus shown in the figure.
http://volta.byu.edu/ph121/homework/hw18f3.png
The apparatus catches the ball, causing it to rotate. There is a kinetic frictional force on the bearing of the ball of 17 Newtons. The bearing has a radius of a=2.5 cm and the apparatus has a distance of r=1.2 m between the catcher and the axis of rotation. The catcher has a mass of 408 g and the rest of the apparatus has negligible mass. How many revolutions does the apparatus rotate before it stops?

Homework Equations

L = mvr
[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex] = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\omega[/tex]=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I have tried so far...
First, I need to find the velocity after the ball and the apparatus collide. So,
mball*vball = (mball + mcatcher)*vf
.235 * 26 = (.235 + .408)*vf
solving for vf yields 9.5 m/s
then I can find the angular velocity using [tex]\omega[/tex] = vf/r
9.5/2.5 = 7.92 rad/s
I can also get the angular momentum from this.
My problem is, is that I have no idea how to factor gravity into the whole equation. I figure if I could find [tex]\alpha[/tex], then I could use a rotational kinematic equation to find the change in [tex]\vartheta[/tex]. My other thought was that I could somehow use the friction and rotational kinetic energy to find when it stops. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
consider the energy of the system.

the ball has an initial K.E. The catcher and the ball are associated with some gravitational potential energy (depending on where you take your reference)

for each revolution, the system lose energy as heat W=2(pi)a*friction.

When the ball collides with the catcher, does the system lose some kinetic energy as well?

First of all is the catcher rotating about a horizontal axis or a vertical one?

I would read it as not necessarily horizontal axis and hence you need only find the resisting torque of the friction applied to slowing the system after determining initial ω. In which case aren't you just using simple rotational kinematic means to solve for θ?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#rlin

Ok! I never even thought of the possibility that it wasn't vertical. So now my thinking is to use torque = 17 N * .025 m and divide that by the moment of inertia MR^2 to get angular acceleration. Then I can just use simple kinematics. Does that sound correct?

cozzbp said:
Ok! I never even thought of the possibility that it wasn't vertical. So now my thinking is to use torque = 17 N * .025 m and divide that by the moment of inertia MR^2 to get angular acceleration. Then I can just use simple kinematics. Does that sound correct?

Looks like a plan to me.

If it's vertically rotating it will more likely at some point either fall forward or backward to settle at the bottom after some number of revolutions. I would think that case doesn't teach the concepts as readily.

Related to Angular momentum and perfectly inelastic collision

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, and is defined as the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in a perfectly inelastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the two objects stick together after the collision and move as one object. Angular momentum is conserved in this type of collision because the total angular momentum before the collision is equal to the total angular momentum after the collision.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect angular momentum?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a larger angular momentum for the same angular velocity compared to objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

4. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. The direction of angular momentum is determined by the direction of the angular velocity, so if the object is rotating in the opposite direction, the angular momentum will be negative.

5. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Angular momentum and torque are related through the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. This equation shows that an increase in torque will result in an increase in angular momentum, and vice versa.