Angular Inelastic Collision: Mary, Bob & Jane

In summary, to find the speed and direction of the huge snowball in the given angular inelastic collision problem between Mary, Bob and Jane, the individual velocity vectors must be resolved and then substituted into the formula v=(m1v1+m2v2+m3v3)/(m1+m2+m3) where v is the final velocity and v1, v2, and v3 are the initial velocity vectors. It is also important to note that angular momentum is conserved and that the vectors should be multiplied by the corresponding masses before being added together. The resulting final velocity should be 2.34m/s due south, but double check calculations and pay attention to the sign of the unit vectors.
NIZBIT
This is an angular inelastic collision problem:

Mary, Bob and Jane are having a snowball fight. Mary throws a 50g snowball 60 degrees S of E at 6 m/s. Bob throws his 15g snowball 2.75m/s north. Jane's throws her 35g snowball at 3.25m/s west. How fast and what is the direction of the huge snowball?

So do I resolve each velocity vector and then sub in the formula v=(m1v1+m2v2+m3v3)/(m1+m2+m3)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, since angular momentum is conserved. Note only that v, v1, v2 and v3 are vector quantities.

Now I'm confused. Is each vector multiplied by the mass then added together?

NIZBIT said:
Now I'm confused. Is each vector multiplied by the mass then added together?

Yes, it is.

I'm getting 2.34m/s due south

Which doesn't seem correct, unless I'm missing something. Go through your calculations again.

Should I be using -60 degrees or 60 degrees?

NIZBIT said:
Should I be using -60 degrees or 60 degrees?

Use 60 degrees, but watch out for the sign of the unit vectors i and j.

Related to Angular Inelastic Collision: Mary, Bob & Jane

What is an Angular Inelastic Collision?

An angular inelastic collision is a type of collision in physics where two or more objects collide and stick together. This results in a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system, as some of the energy is converted into other forms such as heat or sound.

Who are Mary, Bob, and Jane in the context of an Angular Inelastic Collision?

Mary, Bob, and Jane are three hypothetical objects that are involved in an angular inelastic collision. They are often used as examples in physics problems to demonstrate the principles of conservation of momentum and energy.

What is the difference between an Angular Inelastic Collision and a Linear Inelastic Collision?

The main difference between an angular inelastic collision and a linear inelastic collision is the direction of the resulting motion. In an angular collision, the objects involved move in a circular or angular path, while in a linear collision, the objects move in a straight line.

What is the role of conservation of momentum in an Angular Inelastic Collision?

Conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. In an angular inelastic collision, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This principle is crucial in understanding the resulting motion of the objects involved.

How can the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of an Angular Inelastic Collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an angular inelastic collision, a higher coefficient of restitution means that more of the object's kinetic energy is conserved after the collision. This can affect the final motion and speed of the objects involved.