Angular acceleration of a seesaw

In summary, the problem involves a seesaw with a pivot point closer to the left side. The left side has a length of 0.990 m and a mass of 4.40 kg, while the right side has a length of 1.78 m and a mass of 2.35 kg. The task is to find the angular acceleration, given the equation torque=I(alpha). The calculated torque is 1.6954 N*m, but the issue is finding the moment of inertia (I). The mass distribution is not clear, but if mass 1 is concentrated at the left end and mass 2 is distributed at the right end, the basic definition of I for point masses can be used.
sberxasberxa

Homework Statement

There is a seesaw. The pivot point is closer to the left side than the right side. Let`s call the left length of the beam L1 and the mass on the left side m1. The right sideof the beam is L2 and the mass is m2. Information is L1 = 0.990 m, L2 = 1.78m, m1 = 4.40 kg, and m2 = 2.35 kg. You need to find angular acceleration.

Homework Equations

torque=I(alpha) alpha is angular acceleration and I have calculated the torque below.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I`ve calculated torque doing L1m1g-L2m2g and found it to be roughly 1.6954 N*m.
My problem is that I have no idea how to find I in this situation. I`ve read that section of my textbook several times and it just makes no sense to me.
I appreciate and hints or help. Thank you in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the mass distributed? Is mass 1 concentrated at the left end of the beam, and mass 2 distributed at the right end? If so, then just use the basic definition of I for point masses.

Related to Angular acceleration of a seesaw

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity of an object. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. The formula for this relationship is a = αr, where a is the linear acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the radius of rotation.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for this is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω2 and ω1 are the final and initial angular velocities respectively, and t2 and t1 are the final and initial times respectively.

4. How does the angular acceleration of a seesaw affect its motion?

The angular acceleration of a seesaw determines how quickly it will rotate. The greater the angular acceleration, the faster the seesaw will rotate. It also affects the stability of the seesaw, as a higher angular acceleration may cause the seesaw to tip over more easily.

5. Can the angular acceleration of a seesaw be negative?

Yes, the angular acceleration of a seesaw can be negative. This would indicate that the seesaw is slowing down its rotational speed. Negative angular acceleration can also cause the seesaw to rotate in the opposite direction, depending on the direction of the initial angular velocity.