Angular Acceleration. Im totally lost

In summary, the computer disk starting from rest has a constant angular acceleration and takes 0.570s to complete its second revolution. To find the time it took for the first revolution, we can use the equation x = 1/2*a*t^2 and solve for a. Then, we can use this value of a to solve for t at half the distance, which is one revolution.
beanieb

Homework Statement

A computer disk is turned on starting from rest and has constant anglular acceleration. If it took 0.570s for the drive to make its second complete revolution, how long did it take to make the first complete revolution? Also what is its angular acceleration

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

The homework template is there for a reason, please use it. You are expected to show some effort in solving the problem yourself when asking for help.

Well I know the inital velocity is zero (starting from rest) and the time is given. Converting 2 revs to rads is 12.57. So it completes 12.57 rads in 0.570s. I am also aware that ang accel = ang vel/time. I am just going around in circles trying to work it out. I was fairly sure it was wrong to assume speed is 22rad/s. (12.57/.570). Sorry if that's not enough but I am totally lost. First post so I wasnt sure what to put up

beanieb said:
Well I know the inital velocity is zero (starting from rest) and the time is given. Converting 2 revs to rads is 12.57. So it completes 12.57 rads in 0.570s. I am also aware that ang accel = ang vel/time. I am just going around in circles trying to work it out. I was fairly sure it was wrong to assume speed is 22rad/s. (12.57/.570). Sorry if that's not enough but I am totally lost. First post so I wasnt sure what to put up

Angular calculations are pretty much the same as linear. Recall then that:

x = 1/2*a*t2

In your case use x as radians and solve for a.

Armed with a (which is your angular acceleration by the way) solve for t at half the distance - which is one revolution.

Related to Angular Acceleration. Im totally lost

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to changes in an object's rotational motion, while linear acceleration refers to changes in an object's straight-line motion. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared.

What factors affect angular acceleration?

The factors that affect angular acceleration include the object's moment of inertia, the applied torque, and the distance from the axis of rotation at which the torque is applied. The direction of the applied torque also plays a role in determining the direction of the angular acceleration.

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

Why is angular acceleration important?

Angular acceleration is important in understanding rotational motion and how objects move and behave in space. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and machines, and in understanding the motion of celestial bodies like planets and stars.