Angular Acceleration Caused by Axehead on a Rotating Grindstone (Disk)

In summary: FOR THAT MISTAKEIn summary, this conversation discusses a problem involving a horizontal grindstone with a given mass, radius, and angular velocity, and a force exerted on it by a steel axe. The first part calculates the angular acceleration of the grindstone using the kinetic coefficient of friction between steel and stone. The second part calculates the number of turns the stone will make before coming to rest, taking into account initial and final angular velocities and using relevant formulas.
hdp12

Homework Statement

PROBLEM:
You have a horizontal grindstone (a disk) that is mass m, has a radius r, and is turning at f in the positive direction. You then press a steel axe against the edge with a force of F in the radial direction.

y5gp4ep3.s2p.png

RANDOMIZED VARIABLES:
m= 95 kg
r= 0.33 m
f= 92 rpm
F= 25 N

a) Assuming the kinetic coefficient of friction between steel and stone is 0.20, calculate the angular acceleration of the grindstone in rad/s2
ANSWER: α = -0.319
See section 3 for explanation​

b) What is the number of turns, N, that the stone will make before coming to rest?
SUBMISSION HISTORY:
XN = 0.003
XN = 0.017

Homework Equations

τ=rFsin(θ)
τ=Iα
α=τNET/I
↓ Moment of Inertia of a uniform disk about its center of mass
I=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mR2
Fk= μkF
ωfi+αΔt
θfiiΔt+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]αΔt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a) by doing the following
Kinetic Friction Force​
Fk= μkF
Torque by Fk
τ=rFsin(θ) = rFk = rμkF
Magnitude of Angular Acceleration (will be negative)​
α=τNET/I = rμkF/[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mr2
= (0.33 m)(0.2)(25 N) / [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](95 kg)(0.33 m)2
= -0.319 rad / s2

OKAY. Now onto the next part. Part b).
First I took the initial velocity, which is in rotations per minute, and converted it into radians per second
[STRIKE]rot[/STRIKE]/[STRIKE]min[/STRIKE] ·2∏r/[STRIKE]rot[/STRIKE] · 1 [STRIKE]min[/STRIKE]/60 s
=∏/30 rad/s

so if ωi = ∏/30 rad/s
& ωf = 0 rad/s
I can solve for time by using the formula ωfi+αΔt
0 rad/s = ∏/30 rad/s + -0.319 rad/s2Δt
-∏/30 rad/s = -0.319 rad/s2Δt
Δt = 0.3283 s

now using this time, I plug it and the rest of my variables into the formula θfiiΔt+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]αΔt2
=(∏/30 rad/s)(0.3283 s) + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](-0.319 rad/s2)(0.3283 s)2
=0.03438 rad + -0.0172 rad
=0.01719 rad
1rot/2∏rad · 0.01719 rad = 0.002736 rot

I tried entering that, and it was incorrect. Then I tried entering the answer I got in radians and that was incorrect too.. So I guess I'm just confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wow okay

I read back over my post and I already realized what I did... so I'm sorry.

for the initial speed I didn't convert it to radians per second... I converted one rotation to radians per second... smoothe.
Lemme try that again
f=92 [STRIKE]rot[/STRIKE]/[STRIKE]min[/STRIKE] ·2∏r/[STRIKE]rot[/STRIKE] · 1 [STRIKE]min[/STRIKE]/60 s
=92∏/30 rad/s
= 3.07∏ rad/s

so if ωi = 3.07∏ rad/s
& ωf = 0 rad/s
I can solve for time by using the formula ωfi+αΔt
0 rad/s = 3.07∏ rad/s + -0.319 rad/s2Δt
-3.07∏ rad/s = -0.319 rad/s2Δt
Δt = 30.2 s

now using this time, I plug it and the rest of my variables into the formula θfiiΔt+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]αΔt2
=(3.07∏ rad/s)(30.2 s) + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](-0.319 rad/s2)(30.2 s)2
=291.27 rad + -145.47 rad
=145.8 rad
1rot/2∏rad · 145.8 rad = 23.205 rot

okay yes this is correct. CRISIS AVERTED SORRY

Related to Angular Acceleration Caused by Axehead on a Rotating Grindstone (Disk)

1. What is angular acceleration caused by an axehead on a rotating grindstone?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object changes over time. In this case, it refers to the change in the rotational speed of the grindstone due to the force of the axehead.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated for this scenario?

Angular acceleration can be calculated using the formula α = (ωf – ωi) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time taken for the change to occur.

3. What factors can affect the angular acceleration caused by the axehead?

The main factor that affects angular acceleration is the force applied by the axehead. Other factors that may affect it include the mass and shape of the axehead, the rotational speed of the grindstone, and the friction between the axehead and the grindstone.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the angular acceleration?

The direction of the force can affect the direction of the angular acceleration. If the force is applied in the same direction as the rotation of the grindstone, the angular acceleration will be positive. If the force is applied in the opposite direction of the rotation, the angular acceleration will be negative.

5. How can angular acceleration caused by the axehead be used in real-world applications?

Angular acceleration is a fundamental concept in physics and has many practical applications. In this scenario, it can be used to calculate the power and energy required to grind materials using an axehead on a rotating grindstone. It can also be used in engineering and design to determine the stability and strength of rotating components.