Angles of a Vector on the Coordinate Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem involving degrees and axes. The question asks which choices are equivalent to 18 degrees below the -x-axis. The person initially chose choice A, but realized their mistake and thought choice B should be changed to C and choice E to F. The conversation ends with the person figuring out the correct answer and feeling silly.
dwagz

Homework Statement

This question is on my physics homework, I guess it could be posted elsewhere, but I'm not sure where. Here is the problem:

Which of the following are the same as 18 degrees below the -x-axis? Choose all that apply:

!The choices I selected are in red!

A) 72 degrees left of the -y-axis
B) 72 degrees right of the +y-axis

C) 18 degrees right of the +y-axis
D) 72 degrees below the -x-axis
E) 18 degrees above the +x-axis
F) 72 degrees above the +x-axis
G) 18 degrees left of the -y-axis

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer wrong. I chose choice A. because I subtracted 90 degrees (-y-axis) from 18 giving me 72.

I am thinking that I should change choice B. to C.and choice E. to F.? However, honestly I'm confused with my reasoning behind this. Nothing in my text speaks on this. Can anyone help? Thanks for your time.

Also, if my question would be best answered in another place, please let me know. Like I said, this is from my physics homework...

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems quite simple.

Try Drawing a graph to illustrate what it may look like.

Then try to see which fits the descriptions best.

I think http://www.studentforums.biz/index.php site, will be able to give you a quicker reply, as they specialize in homework

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooops I figured it out and I feel really silly lol.

Thanks for the reply anways!

Related to Angles of a Vector on the Coordinate Plane

1. What is a vector on the coordinate plane?

A vector on the coordinate plane is a geometric object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow with a starting point (called the tail) and an ending point (called the head). The direction of the arrow indicates the direction of the vector, while the length of the arrow represents the magnitude or size of the vector.

2. How do you find the angle of a vector on the coordinate plane?

To find the angle of a vector on the coordinate plane, you can use the inverse tangent function (arctan) to calculate the ratio of the vertical and horizontal components of the vector. This will give you the angle in radians, which can then be converted to degrees if needed.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative angle of a vector on the coordinate plane?

A positive angle of a vector on the coordinate plane is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, while a negative angle is measured clockwise from the positive x-axis. This convention is based on the standard unit circle, where angles are measured in a counterclockwise direction.

4. How do you determine the quadrant of a vector on the coordinate plane?

The quadrant of a vector on the coordinate plane can be determined by looking at the signs of its x and y coordinates. If both coordinates are positive, the vector lies in the first quadrant. If the x coordinate is negative and the y coordinate is positive, the vector is in the second quadrant. If both coordinates are negative, the vector is in the third quadrant, and if the x coordinate is positive and the y coordinate is negative, the vector is in the fourth quadrant.

5. Can a vector have a negative angle on the coordinate plane?

Yes, a vector can have a negative angle on the coordinate plane. This usually occurs when the vector lies in the third or fourth quadrant, where the angle is measured clockwise from the positive x-axis. Negative angles are still valid and useful, as they can be used in trigonometry and other mathematical calculations.