Angled Length Contraction (Relativity)

In summary: Going to change notation here from above, everything denoted with a subscript 0 like this (X0) will be the value for the meter stick's frame, everything without a... like this (x) will be in the rest frame of the rod.In the lab frame, the angle is 60 degrees. So the length is 91 cm.
Blanchdog

Homework Statement

Find the length of a meter stick if in the laboratory frame it is angled at 60 degrees relative to the direction of motion, and it is traveling at .8 c.

I have calculated gamma to be 1.667

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

a' = l' cos(x), b = l' sin(x)
a = cos(60), b = sin(60)
a' = a/gamma, b' = b
l' cos(x) = cos(60)/gamma, l' sin(x) = sin(60)
combine by eliminating l'
cos(60)/(cos(x) gamma) = sin(60)/sin(x)
tan(x) = tan(60) gamma
x = arctan(tan(60) gamma)
plug x back into solve for l'

l' = cos(60)/(cos(x) gamma)

This gives me a result of about 91 cm, but the book says it should be 82 cm. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Blanchdog said:

Homework Statement

Find the length of a meter stick if in the laboratory frame it is angled at 60 degrees relative to the direction of motion, and it is traveling at .8 c.

I have calculated gamma to be 1.667

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

a' = l' cos(x), b = l' sin(x)
a = cos(60), b = sin(60)
a' = a/gamma, b' = b
l' cos(x) = cos(60)/gamma, l' sin(x) = sin(60)
combine by eliminating l'
cos(60)/(cos(x) gamma) = sin(60)/sin(x)
tan(x) = tan(60) gamma
x = arctan(tan(60) gamma)
plug x back into solve for l'

l' = cos(60)/(cos(x) gamma)

This gives me a result of about 91 cm, but the book says it should be 82 cm. Where did I go wrong?

I can't follow what you are trying to do at all. When you say ##a = \cos(60)##, what is ##a##?

PeroK said:
I can't follow what you are trying to do at all. When you say ##a = \cos(60)##, what is ##a##?

I'm treating the meter stick as the hypotenuse of a right triangle. a is aligned with the x-axis (the direction of motion) and b is aligned with the y-axis (perpendicular to the direction of motion).

Blanchdog said:
I'm treating the meter stick as the hypotenuse of a right triangle. a is aligned with the x-axis (the direction of motion) and b is aligned with the y-axis (perpendicular to the direction of motion).

In what frame is this? If you are in the rest frame of the stick, then the angle is not ##60°##. And if you are in the lab frame, then the lengths are not simply ##\cos## and ##\sin## as the stick is not of unit length in this frame.

`
PeroK said:
In what frame is this? If you are in the rest frame of the stick, then the angle is not ##60°##. And if you are in the lab frame, then the lengths are not simply ##\cos## and ##\sin## as the stick is not of unit length in this frame.

The angle is 60 degrees in the lab frame, meaning that the angle in the frame of the meter stick will be larger than 60 degrees. I denote this by x in the problem. And I can see why the I cannot use a unit length there, but I'm not sure how I can solve it since I know either l and don't know the angle or I know the angle and don't know l, depending on the reference frame. In this case, I need to figure out l (l') in the lab reference frame. I feel like there should be some sort of Lorentz angle transformation, but I've only see that for velocities, not distances.

Blanchdog said:
`The angle is 60 degrees in the lab frame, meaning that the angle in the frame of the meter stick will be larger than 60 degrees. I denote this by x in the problem. And I can see why the I cannot use a unit length there, but I'm not sure how I can solve it since I know either l and don't know the angle or I know the angle and don't know l, depending on the reference frame. In this case, I need to figure out l (l') in the lab reference frame. I feel like there should be some sort of Lorentz angle transformation, but I've only see that for velocities, not distances.

What do you know in the lab frame? Write down what you can. Hint: take the length in the lab frame to be ##L## with ##L^2 = a^2 + b^2##, where ##a, b## are the components of length in the direction of motion and perpendicular to the direction of motion respectively.

Hint: forget the angle in the rest frame of the rod - you don't need it.

Suggestion: use ##v, \gamma, \theta## and solve the problem generally. At this level, you should be using algebra - for many reasons - in preference to plugging in numbers at the outset.

PeroK said:
What do you know in the lab frame? Write down what you can.

Going to change notation here from above, everything denoted with a subscript 0 like this (X0) will be the value for the meter stick's frame, everything without a subscript will be in the lab reference frame.

Lab Reference Frame:
L2 = a2 + b2
v = .8 c
γ = 1.667
a = a0 / γ
b = b0
a = L cos (θ)
b = L sin (θ)

Meter stick reference frame:
L0 = 1
L02 = a02 + b02

Substituting into the final expression above:

L02 = (aγ)2 + b2
L02 = (L cos(θ) γ)2 + (L sin(θ))2
L02 = L2 ((cos(θ) γ)2 + (sin(θ))2)
L = √(L02/(cos(θ)2 γ2 + sin(θ)2))

Plugging in numbers:

L = √(1/(cos(60)2 * 1.6672 + sin(60)2))
L = .832 m, which is the correct answer! Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
As an aside, you can see the relationship between the angles is:

##\tan(\theta) = \frac{b}{a} = \frac{b_0}{a_0/\gamma} = \gamma \frac{b_0}{a_0} = \gamma \tan(\theta_0)##

Likes physics_CD

Related to Angled Length Contraction (Relativity)

1. What is angled length contraction in the context of relativity?

Angled length contraction, also known as Lorentz contraction, is a phenomenon described by the theory of relativity in which the length of an object appears to decrease when observed from a moving reference frame. This effect occurs when an object is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light and is perpendicular to the direction of motion.

2. How does angled length contraction differ from regular length contraction?

Regular length contraction, also known as longitudinal length contraction, occurs when an object is moving along the same axis as the observer. In this case, the object appears to shorten in the direction of motion. Angled length contraction, on the other hand, occurs when the object is moving perpendicular to the observer's line of sight.

3. What is the formula for calculating angled length contraction?

The formula for calculating angled length contraction is L = L0 * √(1 - v2/c2), where L is the observed length, L0 is the rest length of the object, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

4. Can angled length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, angled length contraction is only significant at very high velocities, close to the speed of light. This effect is not noticeable in everyday life and is only observed in extreme scenarios, such as particles traveling in a particle accelerator.

5. How does angled length contraction support the theory of relativity?

Angled length contraction is one of the many phenomena predicted by the theory of relativity. It provides evidence for the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This concept is one of the fundamental principles of relativity and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.