Angle projections to Euler angles

In summary, the conversation discusses using projected angles to find Euler angles, which can be used to assess angular deformities in tibia/femur. The suggested method involves solving for cos(theta) and using the cross product to determine the quadrant.
ashishbsbe
Consider a vector in 3D. Its projections on two planes, say YX and YZ planes, makes some angle with the vertical axis ( the y-axis in this case). I know these two angles (I call them projected angles). This is the only information I have about the vector.

I need Euler angles which when applied on a unit vector in vertical direction will rotate the unit vector in the direction of the original vector.

Practical application: This would be used to assess angular deformities in tibia/femur. Surgeons know about these projected angles through x-rays in AP and ML planes ( equivalent to YX and YZ planes above). I need to convert them to Euler angles for my application.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey ashishbsbe.

If you want to get the Euler angles, you can use solve for cos(theta) = <a,b>/[||a||*||b||] and get an inverse cosine and then put it in the right branch (you will need to also use the cross product where sin(theta) = ||a X a|| / [||a||*||b|| which will allow you to get the quadrant).

Related to Angle projections to Euler angles

1. What are angle projections?

Angle projections refer to the method of representing an object's orientation in three-dimensional space using angles. This allows for a more intuitive and simplified way of understanding an object's orientation.

2. What are Euler angles?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that describe the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. They are often used in conjunction with angle projections to fully represent an object's orientation.

3. How are angle projections converted to Euler angles?

To convert angle projections to Euler angles, you must first determine the order of rotation (x, y, z) and then use a specific formula to calculate each angle. The resulting Euler angles will accurately represent the object's orientation.

4. What applications use angle projections to Euler angles?

Angle projections to Euler angles are commonly used in computer graphics, robotics, and navigation systems. They are also used in physics and engineering to describe the orientation and movement of objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using angle projections to Euler angles?

One limitation of using angle projections to Euler angles is the phenomenon known as "gimbal lock," where one of the axes becomes redundant and limits the range of motion. Additionally, the order of rotation can also affect the accuracy of the resulting Euler angles.