Angle of Impact: Calculating with Velocity & Distance

In summary, the conversation discussed the scenario of a ball rolling off a table and impacting the floor at a certain distance. The question at hand was what is the angle between the path of the ball and a vertical line drawn at the moment of impact. The person asking also provided some relevant equations derived from basic projectile motion formulae. The solution was eventually figured out and related back to vector calculus.
TheTopGun

Homework Statement

A ball rolls off a table at speed v and impacts the floor at distance d.

What is the angle between the path of the ball and a vertical line drawn at the moment of impact.

Homework Equations

I have derived from basic projectile motion formulae:

Time of impact t = sqrt(2h/g)

Distance d = Vox * sqrt(2h/g)

Velcocity at impact = sqrt(Vox^2 - gt^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't really know where to start, I believe I have all the required information above but how do I apply it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this correct ?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53341615/IMG_20150617_173554781.jpg

This is actually a mathematics topic question and should somehow relate back to vector calculus

Last edited by a moderator:
Nvm got it sorted. Can't figure out how to delete thread ?

Related to Angle of Impact: Calculating with Velocity & Distance

1. What is the angle of impact?

The angle of impact is the angle at which an object impacts or collides with another object or surface. It is measured in degrees and can be calculated using the velocity and distance of the object.

2. How is the angle of impact calculated?

The angle of impact can be calculated using the formula: angle of impact = arctan(distance/velocity). This formula takes into account the distance travelled by the object and the velocity at which it is travelling.

3. What is the significance of calculating the angle of impact?

Calculating the angle of impact can provide valuable information about the collision or impact event. It can help determine the force and direction of the impact, which can be useful in forensic investigations or accident reconstructions.

4. Can the angle of impact be calculated for any type of collision?

Yes, the angle of impact can be calculated for any type of collision, as long as the distance and velocity of the object are known. This includes collisions between objects of different shapes and sizes, as well as collisions involving multiple objects.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the angle of impact?

While the angle of impact can provide valuable information, there are some limitations to its calculation. It assumes a perfectly elastic collision, where there is no loss of energy during the impact. In reality, there may be some energy loss, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated angle of impact. Additionally, the angle of impact may be influenced by external factors such as wind or surface conditions.