Angle of Child Sliding Down Hill

In summary: Anyway, In summary, the child slides down a hill with an acceleration of 1.5 m/s^2 and the angle between the hill and the horizontal is 8.8 degrees.
shawshank

Homework Statement

A child on a toboggan slides down a hill with an acceleration of magnitude 1.5 m/s^2. If friction is negligible, what is the angle between the hill and the horizontal?

a = 1.5 m/s^2
g = 9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, there is no mass given so it it's a little confusing but I tried it anyways.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3608/untitledtt3.th.jpg

First of all here is my diagram of the situation. I flipped my free body diagram so that Fn is y+ (the dotted black line of x is perpendicular to Fn). The dotted red line represents what the X and Y line if Fg was perpendicular to the X. So I rotated my FBD and therefore had to rotate my angle.

so now according to the FBD (used black dotted line as origins in the solution).

1. mg[cos(90-[tex]\theta[/tex])] = ma

2. g[cos(90-[tex]\theta[/tex])] = a (factored the mass out)

3. cos(90-[tex]\theta[/tex]) = a/g (brought g to the other side)

4. cos90 cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + sin 90 sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = a/g (Angle subtraction)

5. [tex]\arcsin[/tex] (a / g) = [tex]\theta[/tex] (cos 90 is 0 so we can get rid of that first term, and sin 90 is simply 1 so it simplifies to this)

6. [tex]\arcsin[/tex] (1.5 / 9.8) = [tex]\theta[/tex]

7. [tex]\theta[/tex] = 8.8 degrees

Now I can't really check my answer, and I may have used that whole angle subtraction out of place so can someone just check for me. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
isnt this just a basic triangle? y is gravity, h is 1.5, and find angle with arcsin?

I guess I took the longer stop, I just looked at the diagram and realized if I took sin theta, it would've been same as taking cos 90 - theta. Stupid :D

i dunno, I am noob at this too. i did take trig so i guess that's the first step that popped in my mind

Related to Angle of Child Sliding Down Hill

1. What is the angle of the hill that is safest for children to slide down?

The safest angle for children to slide down a hill depends on the slope of the hill and the speed of the child. Generally, a slope between 20-30 degrees is considered safe for children to slide down without getting injured.

2. Can the angle of the hill affect the speed of the child sliding down?

Yes, the angle of the hill can greatly affect the speed of the child sliding down. A steeper slope will increase the speed, while a gentler slope will decrease the speed. It is important to choose a slope that is appropriate for the child's age and skill level.

3. How can I measure the angle of a hill for safe sliding?

To measure the angle of a hill, you can use a protractor or a smartphone app that has a level feature. Place the protractor or phone against the slope of the hill and measure the angle where the child will be sliding down. Alternatively, you can also use a clinometer, a tool specifically designed for measuring angles.

4. Is there a maximum angle that is safe for children to slide down?

There is no specific maximum angle that is universally safe for all children to slide down. The maximum safe angle will vary depending on factors such as the slope surface, the type of material used for sliding, and the child's age and skill level. It is important to always assess the slope and choose a safe angle for sliding.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken into consideration when sliding down a hill?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken into consideration when sliding down a hill. These include choosing a slope with a gentle angle, avoiding slopes with obstacles or hazards, wearing appropriate clothing and protective gear, and always supervising children while they are sliding. It is also important to teach children how to properly slide down a hill and to follow safety rules.