Angle Maxima and nodes and antinodes

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a diagram with red wavy lines and the concept of nodes and anti-nodes. The solution suggests replacing the wavy lines with straight lines and explaining how to show the creation of nodes and anti-nodes using the path difference.
jamieXX96

Homework Statement

I have attached the problem...

Homework Equations

dsin([itex]\theta[/itex]) = [itex]\lambda[/itex]m

The Attempt at a Solution

(0.00003m)(sin([itex]\theta[/itex])) = (0.000000550m)(2) ------------> 2.10o
(0.00003m)(sin([itex]\theta[/itex])) = (0.000000550m)(3) ------------> 3.15o

I looked through my textbook, but the only piece that I could find about nodes/anti-nodes was the diagram that I attached. Can someone explain how I draw them/what they are?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Attachments

• question 5.png
    question 5.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 470
  • question 5 add.jpg
    question 5 add.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!
But how would I show how the nodes and anti-nodes are created?

for wavelength λ, it's an anti-node if the path difference is … ? :smile:

I can explain the concept of angle maxima, nodes, and antinodes in relation to the problem you have attached.

Angle maxima refers to the maximum angle at which a wave is observed. In this case, it is the maximum angle at which the wave is reflected off the surface. This angle can be calculated using the equation dsin(\theta) = \lambda, where d is the distance between the two reflecting surfaces, \theta is the angle of incidence, and \lambda is the wavelength of the wave.

Nodes and antinodes refer to the points along the wave where the amplitude is either zero (nodes) or maximum (antinodes). In the attached diagram, the red dots represent the nodes, while the blue dots represent the antinodes. The distance between two consecutive nodes or antinodes is equal to half the wavelength of the wave.

To draw nodes and antinodes, you can use the equation for the standing wave pattern, y(x) = A sin(kx)cos(\omega t), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, x is the position along the wave, and \omega is the angular frequency. You can plot this equation for different values of x and t to see how the wave behaves and where the nodes and antinodes are located.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of angle maxima, nodes, and antinodes better. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Happy studying!

Related to Angle Maxima and nodes and antinodes

1. What is the difference between angle maxima and nodes/antinodes?

Angle maxima refers to the points in a wave where the amplitude is at its highest, while nodes and antinodes are points where the amplitude is zero and maximum, respectively.

2. How do angle maxima and nodes/antinodes affect wave behavior?

Angle maxima and nodes/antinodes play a crucial role in determining the interference pattern and standing wave formation in a wave. They also affect the overall energy and intensity of the wave.

3. How are angle maxima and nodes/antinodes calculated?

The calculation of angle maxima and nodes/antinodes depends on the type of wave and its properties, such as wavelength and frequency. For example, in a standing wave on a string, the distance between nodes is equal to half the wavelength, and the distance between an antinode and a node is equal to one-fourth of the wavelength.

4. Can angle maxima and nodes/antinodes be observed in all types of waves?

Yes, angle maxima and nodes/antinodes can be observed in all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. However, the specific locations of these points may vary depending on the properties of the wave.

5. How can angle maxima and nodes/antinodes be manipulated?

Angle maxima and nodes/antinodes can be manipulated by changing the properties of the wave, such as frequency and amplitude. They can also be manipulated by introducing obstacles or boundaries that alter the wave's path and result in a different interference pattern.