Angle made by electric field lines

In summary, the conversation discusses the emergence of an electric field line from a positive point charge at an angle x to a negative charge, and the question is asked about the angle at which the field line will enter the negative charge. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation sin(y/2)=sin(x/2)(q1/q2)^1/2 and hints are requested for solving the question.
bismita sahu

Homework Statement

an electric field line emerges from a positive point charge +q1 at an angle x to the straight line joining it to a negative charge -q2.at what angle y will the field line enter the charge -q2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

sin(y/2)=sin(x/2)(q1/q2)^1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I was assuming q1 and q2 are equal, in which case the answer is obvious from symmetry. But it appears that that are NOT equal and I don't know how to deal with that.

Hi guys,
I have the same problem, please give me hints for solving the question, tnx a lot :wink:

Related to Angle made by electric field lines

What is the angle made by electric field lines?

The angle made by electric field lines refers to the angle between the electric field lines and a perpendicular line drawn to the surface of a charged object.

How is the angle made by electric field lines measured?

The angle is measured in degrees using a protractor or other measuring device.

What is the significance of the angle made by electric field lines?

The angle indicates the strength and direction of the electric field at a particular point on the surface of a charged object.

How does the angle made by electric field lines change with distance from the charged object?

The angle generally decreases as the distance from the charged object increases, indicating a weaker electric field.

Why is it important to understand the angle made by electric field lines?

Understanding the angle can help in visualizing and predicting the behavior of electric fields and their effects on charged objects.