Ancient Engineering Measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses a verse in the Christian Bible that describes a bowl with specific dimensions. There is a discrepancy in the ratio between circumference and diameter, which could mean either incorrect measurements or poor construction. The idea of using the diameter from the outer rim and the circumference of the inner rim is brought up, but it is deemed nonsensical by the participants. The conversation also touches on the religious aspect of this verse and its accuracy.
1mmorta1
Not sure where this one should go, please move if this is the wrong forum:

There is a verse in the Christian Bible where a bowl is described to have the following dimensions:

10 cubit diameter

30 cubit circumference

1 Handsbreadth thickness

A modern cubit is 18 inches, 1 handsbreadth is 4 inches.

At face value, the ratio between circumference and diameter is 3...which is not equal to pi. This would mean that the measurements are either incorrect, or that the structure was not made very well.

On the other hand, if you take the 10 cubit diameter from outer rim to outer rim, and consider the 30 cubit circumference as the circumference of the inner circle, pi = 3.139.

I am not wanting to start a religious discussion, I am just curious as to whether or not using the diameter from the outer rim and the circumference of the inner rim makes any sense to an engineer...

Is it likely that measurements like this would be taken? Or is it more likely that either construction and/or the actual values are inaccurate?

This question arises due to a discussion I am having with a religious colleague who is distressed to hear that the bible predicts that pi = 3.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1mmorta1 said:
I am not wanting to start a religious discussion, I am just curious as to whether or not using the diameter from the outer rim and the circumference of the inner rim makes any sense to an engineer...
It doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't see either scientific or religious value in trying to "explain away" passages like the one you quote by sophistry, or pedantry.

AlephZero said:
It doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't see either scientific or religious value in trying to "explain away" passages like the one you quote by sophistry, or pedantry.

I can agree with that. The bible is a collection of legends and fairy tales to me, so I'm not much concerned.

Related to Ancient Engineering Measurements

What is "Ancient Engineering Measurements"?

"Ancient Engineering Measurements" refers to the systems and methods used by ancient civilizations to measure and construct structures such as buildings, monuments, and roads. These measurements were often based on local units of length and were used to ensure accuracy and precision in construction.

What are some examples of ancient engineering measurements?

Examples of ancient engineering measurements include the Egyptian cubit, the Roman foot, and the Greek stadia. These units of length were used to measure distances and dimensions in construction projects and were often based on the human body or natural objects.

How were ancient engineering measurements used in construction?

Ancient engineering measurements were used to ensure that structures were built with precision and accuracy. These measurements were used to lay out the foundations of buildings, determine the heights of walls and columns, and calculate angles and slopes in roads and aqueducts.

Why were ancient engineering measurements important?

Ancient engineering measurements were important because they allowed civilizations to construct complex and durable structures. By using standardized measurements, ancient engineers were able to create structures that were not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing.

How have ancient engineering measurements influenced modern engineering?

The systems and methods of ancient engineering measurements have greatly influenced modern engineering. Many modern units of length, such as the meter and the foot, have roots in ancient measurements. Additionally, modern construction techniques and tools have been developed based on the principles of ancient engineering measurements.