Analyzing Net Forces and Equations in a Driven Mass on a Circular Path System

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle Mass
In summary, the system consists of two masses connected by two springs and subject to a driving force. One spring is attached to the left mass while the other is attached to the right mass. When the masses move in opposite directions, the left spring exerts a force on the left mass while the right spring exerts a force on the right mass. However, when the masses move in the same direction, both springs exert a force on the same mass in the same direction. The equations for this system are F*cos(wt) - [k(x1+x2)] - k(x1-x2) = m * d^2 x1/dt^2 and [-k(x1+x2)] - k(x1-x2) =
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
1594764359971.png

1594764406949.png

What you think about this system:?

F*cosw - k(x1+x2) - k(x1-x2) = mx1''
-k(x1+x2) - k(x1-x2) = mx2''

Attachments

• 1594764376191.png
    1594764376191.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 120
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:

It would help if you could post this using LaTeX (see the LaTeX Guide link at the lower left of the Edit window. Thanks.

Also, could you please explain the equations you are trying to write? It looks like you are trying to write F=ma type equations, but your terms are not clear to me (especially since some parts seem to be missing). Also, at some point fairly soon you will need to include the variables ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## to denote the positions of the two masses as functions of time...

LCSphysicist said:

Some sign errors.
berkeman said:
you will need to include the variables θ1 and θ2
The x1 and x2 can be taken as angles, or arc lengths, whatever.

Likes berkeman
Maybe the problem is adopt one clockwise and another counterclockwise?
This came to my mind when i attack the problem, but i went on just to see if i could try by this another way as well as adopt just clockwise [or counterclokwise]. But what i can't refut is why would it be wrong, that is:

## F*cos(wt) - [k(x1+x2)] - k(x1-x2) = m \frac{d^2 x1}{dt^2} ##
## [-k(x1+x2)] - k(x1-x2) = m \frac{d^2 x2}{dt^2} ##

the bracket being to the left spring:
If x2 = 0 and x1 > 0, will be a force on m1 in its negative direction, as to x2. Works as well to x1<0

Without bracket to the right spring:

If x2 = 0 and x1 > 0, will be a force on m1 in its negative direction, as to x2. Also works to x1<0

About the Latex, i will try ;)

LCSphysicist said:
Maybe the problem is adopt one clockwise and another counterclockwise?
This came to my mind when i attack the problem, but i went on just to see if i could try by this another way as well as adopt just clockwise [or counterclokwise]. But what i can't refut is why would it be wrong, that is:

## F*cos(wt) - [k(x1+x2)] - k(x1-x2) = m \frac{d^2 x1}{dt^2} ##
## [-k(x1+x2)] - k(x1-x2) = m \frac{d^2 x2}{dt^2} ##

the bracket being to the left spring:
If x2 = 0 and x1 > 0, will be a force on m1 in its negative direction, as to x2. Works as well to x1<0

Without bracket to the right spring:

If x2 = 0 and x1 > 0, will be a force on m1 in its negative direction, as to x2. Also works to x1<0

About the Latex, i will try ;)
Consider the case x1=-x2, so both move the same direction around the hoop. What net forces will spring exert on them? What do your equations give?

Likes LCSphysicist

Related to Analyzing Net Forces and Equations in a Driven Mass on a Circular Path System

1. What is a "driven mass on a circle"?

A driven mass on a circle refers to a system in which a mass is attached to a circular path and is subjected to an external force or torque that drives its motion along the circular path.

2. What are the factors that affect the motion of a driven mass on a circle?

The motion of a driven mass on a circle is affected by the magnitude and direction of the external force or torque, the mass of the object, and the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the equation for the acceleration of a driven mass on a circle?

The equation for the acceleration of a driven mass on a circle is given by a = (F/m) * r, where a is the acceleration, F is the external force, m is the mass, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How does the speed of a driven mass on a circle change with time?

The speed of a driven mass on a circle changes with time according to the equation v = ωr, where v is the speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. As time increases, the speed of the mass increases proportionally to the angular velocity.

5. What is the role of centripetal force in the motion of a driven mass on a circle?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path and keeps the mass moving along the circular path. It is necessary for maintaining the circular motion of the mass and is equal in magnitude to the centripetal acceleration (ac = v²/r).