Analyzing a Traveling Wave: Frequency, Wavelength, and Direction

• Thread starter hobmarcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, two points on a string are observed as a traveling wave passes. The points are at x1 = 0 and x2 = 1 m, less than one wavelength apart. The transverse motions of the two points are y1 = 0.2 sin 3πt and y2 = 0.2 sin (3πt + π/8). The frequency of the wave can be found by using ω = 3π and ω = 2πf, but the wavelength cannot be determined using k = 2π/λ due to the periodic nature of sin. For part (d), it is not possible to determine the direction of the wave's movement from the given information.
hobmarcus

Homework Statement

Two points on a string are observed as a traveling wave passes. The points are at x1 = 0 and x2 = 1 m. The two points are known to be less than one wavelength apart. The transverse motions of the two points are observed to be y1=0.2 sin 3πt

y2=0.2 sin (3πt+π/8)
(a) What is the frequency of this wave in hertz?(b) What is the wavelength?(c) What is the wave speed?(d) Can you tell if this wave is moving to the right or to the left? If so, which way is it moving?

The attempt at a solution

For part (a), I simply found the frequency by knowing that ω=3π and ω =2πf.
However, for part (b), I could not find the text's book answer by just using k=2π/λ
the answer's from textbook for b is
Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 4.35.17 PM.png

Any good explanations or hints for me? I have been reading the textbook again and again, but still can't find why.
(textbook = AP FENCH, vibrations and wave)

Physics news on Phys.org
How exactly did you use ##k = \frac{2\pi}\lambda##?

I assumed that π/8 = k and just find λ with k=2π/λ?

Remember sin is periodic, so that's not the only possible solution.

So.. what you mean is , I should assume that k=π/8 +2nπ ?

Also, how about part D? is there anyway to tell where is the wave going?

Related to Analyzing a Traveling Wave: Frequency, Wavelength, and Direction

1. What is a traveling wave problem?

A traveling wave problem is a type of differential equation that describes the propagation of a wave as it moves through space or time. It involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and represents the behavior of the wave.

2. What are some examples of traveling wave problems?

Some common examples of traveling wave problems include the heat equation, wave equation, and diffusion equation. These equations are used to model various physical phenomena such as heat transfer, sound waves, and diffusion processes.

3. How are traveling wave problems solved?

Traveling wave problems are typically solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or Laplace transforms. These methods help to find the general solution to the equation, which can then be used to solve specific boundary value problems.

4. What are the applications of traveling wave problems?

Traveling wave problems have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to study the behavior of waves in different systems, such as electromagnetic waves in communication systems, seismic waves in geology, and acoustic waves in musical instruments.

5. What are some challenges associated with solving traveling wave problems?

One of the main challenges of solving traveling wave problems is the complexity of the equations involved. These equations often have multiple variables and parameters, making it difficult to find an exact solution. Additionally, finding appropriate boundary conditions and initial conditions can also be challenging. Many advanced mathematical techniques are required to solve these types of problems.