Analyzing a Current Mirror: Finding Rref for Vcc=8V and Icopy=0.38mA

In summary, the problem is to find Rref for given values of Vcc and Icopy using transistor equations. The correct solution is obtained by assuming IB=0A and ignoring its effect due to the high beta value. However, the explanation for this approach is reversed, as it should be that the base current is much smaller than the collector current and can be ignored.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am working on this problem. They start out by giving me:
upload_2017-9-25_20-44-28.png

I am asked to find Rref such that Vcc=8V and Icopy=0.38mA.

Homework Equations

Transistor equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case, they never specify if IB=0A (sometimes it does ?) but I would assume that it is and therefore beta would be very large and we ignore this.

upload_2017-9-25_20-51-11.png

Likes CWatters
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the answer I got.

Likes Cocoleia
Cocoleia said:
In this case, they never specify if IB=0A (sometimes it does ?) but I would assume that it is and therefore beta would be very large and we ignore this.

Right answer but you have the explanation backwards...

Beta is high so the base current is much smaller than the collector current. Therefore the base current can be ignored (but the base current isn't zero).

Likes Cocoleia and collinsmark

Related to Analyzing a Current Mirror: Finding Rref for Vcc=8V and Icopy=0.38mA

1. What is a current mirror and what is its purpose?

A current mirror is a type of electronic circuit that is used to replicate or mirror the current flowing in one branch of the circuit in another branch. Its purpose is to provide a stable and accurate current source for various applications in electronics, such as biasing transistors, amplifiers, and voltage regulators.

2. How does a current mirror work?

A current mirror typically consists of two or more transistors connected in a specific configuration. The transistor in the first branch, called the reference transistor, sets the current based on its biasing. The transistors in the other branches, called the mirror transistors, replicate the current based on the reference transistor's current. This allows for a consistent and stable current to flow through the circuit.

3. What are the different types of current mirrors?

There are three main types of current mirrors: the basic current mirror, the Wilson current mirror, and the Widlar current mirror. The basic current mirror uses two transistors and a resistor in a simple configuration. The Wilson current mirror uses four transistors and provides better output impedance. The Widlar current mirror uses two transistors and a diode to improve the accuracy of the mirrored current.

4. What are the advantages of using a current mirror?

The use of a current mirror provides several advantages, including stable and accurate current replication, low output impedance, and improved circuit performance. It also reduces the need for external components, simplifying the circuit design and reducing costs.

5. What are some common applications of a current mirror?

Current mirrors are commonly used in various electronic devices, such as operational amplifiers, analog-to-digital converters, and voltage regulators. They are also used in high-frequency circuits, communication systems, and power management circuits.