Analyze Velocity & Vectors in Chuck & Norris Video on YouTube

In summary: Now if we draw a triangle using these components, we can find the angle between the horizontal and the resultant acceleration using trigonometry.So, 49.82 - 35.36 = 14.46 degrees.Therefore, the acceleration due to UCM on Chuck points radially in, and 14.46 degrees below the horizontal with respect to the ground. In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a video where a person named Norris loses his grip on a merry-go-round and is thrown off. The
mohabitar
We're supposed to analyze this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMMkENFOysQ

Givens
3) For clarity, I shall name the idiot that stayed in the merry-go-round, Chuck, and the idiot that lost his grip, Norris.

4) Norris impacted the Earth approximately 3.5 m away from the point he let go and “g” is -9.81m/s2 as always.

5) Only Norris’s uniform circular motion contributed to his velocity prior to letting go.

6) The diameter of the merry go round is 2.75m and its height is 1.15m.

7) Norris let's go at Time t=0s.

7) Do not worry about the fact that the actual circular motion in the video is not uniform. We will ignore the fact that the rotation of merry-go-round is accelerating.

Also,
V is a) [parallel] to the ground and b)[tangent] to the merry-go-round.

Questions:
2) At t=0, what is the magnitude of Norris’s velocity vector with respect to the ground?

______

So here's the answer to that question:
Treating Norris as a projectile, whose Dx is 3.5m and Dy is 1.15m, it can be determined from the givens and the answer to 1 that his initial velocity is [7.23 m/s**2]

So I've been trying to replicate this answer but with no success. I'm not really sure what formula to use. So I've tried different cases with different assumptions.
-So his final velocity is 0, since he lands. I've tried using v^2=u^2+2as to figure out u(initial velocity). For a, I used gravity, but it could be the centripetal acceleration, which we would need velocity to find anyway, so that couldn't be it. For s, which is the displacement, I tried using 3.5 as the horizontal displacement, I tried adding 1.15 to that, I tried using pythagorean to find hypotenuse-but none of those gave me that answer. I really have no idea what to do here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find time t taken to fall 1.15 m using the formula Dy = 1/2*g*t^2.

If v is the velocity with which Norris is thrown out, then v = Dx/t.

Oh ok makes sense, but why can't we use Dx instead of Dy?

mohabitar said:
Oh ok makes sense, but why can't we use Dx instead of Dy?
Velocity in x - direction is constant. And Dx = v*t. v and t both are unknown. Hence using Dy find t and using Dx find v.

So for Dy, velocity is zero right, but why? There is no upward velocity?

So I hope its ok to ask another question here, but its about the same scenario so it would be more appropriate to ask here then create a new topic:

At t=0, what is the magnitude of the merry-go-round’s angular velocity, in terms of (Full Rotations)/second?

So angular velocity = angular distance/time
=2pi(r)/t
=2pi(1.375)/t
=8.63/t

Now the question says at t=0, but that would be undefined in the above equation, so I can't use that. What about the t we derived from the previous question, .48? Well that doesn't work in there either. The answer he gave was:

w = 5.257 rad/s therefore the merry-go-round completes 1 cycle every .837 seconds, or [.837 Cycles/s].

Any hints?

mohabitar said:
So for Dy, velocity is zero right, but why? There is no upward velocity?

When a stone is released from a horizontal circular motion, stone flies off tangentially with a horizontal velocity.

Similarly when you through a stone horizontally, Vx is V and Vy = 0 at t = 0. When it falls freely Vy gradually increases.

Oh ok actually angular velocity, I guess, can be v/r, so 7.23/1.375=5.27. What is rad/s and how can I convert this to cycles per second to get 1 cycle every .837 seconds?

mohabitar said:
So I hope its ok to ask another question here, but its about the same scenario so it would be more appropriate to ask here then create a new topic:

So angular velocity = angular distance/time
=2pi(r)/t
=2pi(1.375)/t
=8.63/t

Now the question says at t=0, but that would be undefined in the above equation, so I can't use that. What about the t we derived from the previous question, .48? Well that doesn't work in there either. The answer he gave was:

Any hints?

At t = 0, the velocity of the point on the merry-go- round is the same as the initial velocity of Norris, i.e. 7.23 m/s.

So ω = v/r = 7,23/1.375 = ...?

Wait a minute-so if the velocity is 5.27 radians/second, and the total radians in the merry go round is 2pi(1.375)=8.63, which means it should take more than 1 second to complete 1 cycle, no? However the answer states "1 cycle every .837 seconds".

w = 5.257 rad/s therefore the merry-go-round completes 1 cycle every .837 seconds, or [.837 Cycles/s].

ω = 2*π*f, where f is the frequency of the rotation.

f = ω/2π = 5.257/2*π = 0.837 cycles/s.

ω = 2*π*f, where f is the frequency of the rotation.

f = ω/2π = 5.257/2*π = 0.837 cycles/s.
Can you go a little more in detail on this? Whats n? And ω is angular velocity right? I thought that was just angular distance/t?

mohabitar said:
Can you go a little more in detail on this? Whats n? And ω is angular velocity right? I thought that was just angular distance/t?

Sorry.
It is pi.

ω = 2*pi*f = dθ/dt

For this same problem, there is another question:
At t=0, what is the direction of the acceleration due to UCM on Chuck?

The answer to this is:
A points [radially in] with respect to the merry-go-round, and [14.46 degrees below the horizontal] with respect to the ground.

I get the pointing in part, but I have absolutely no idea where they got 14.46 degrees from?

mohabitar said:
For this same problem, there is another question:
At t=0, what is the direction of the acceleration due to UCM on Chuck?

The answer to this is:
A points [radially in] with respect to the merry-go-round, and [14.46 degrees below the horizontal] with respect to the ground.

I get the pointing in part, but I have absolutely no idea where they got 14.46 degrees from?

Two accelerations act on the chuck. One the centripretal acceleration and other is the acceleration due to gravity. The direction of the resultant acceleration is given by
tan (theta) = (v^2/g*R)

Related to Analyze Velocity & Vectors in Chuck & Norris Video on YouTube

1. What is velocity and how is it calculated?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the time interval.

2. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that also includes direction.

3. How do vectors play a role in analyzing motion?

Vectors are used to represent the magnitude and direction of an object's motion. By breaking down a motion into its component vectors, we can better understand the overall motion and make predictions about future motion.

4. What can we learn from the Chuck & Norris video on YouTube?

The Chuck & Norris video on YouTube demonstrates the concept of relative velocity, where an object's velocity is measured in relation to another object's velocity. It also shows how vectors can be used to represent and analyze the motion of objects in different directions.

5. Why is understanding velocity and vectors important in science?

Velocity and vectors are fundamental concepts in physics and are essential for understanding motion and predicting the behavior of objects in the world around us. They are also used in many other fields of science, such as engineering and astronomy, to study and analyze various phenomena.