Analytical solutions for electric field of finite rectangular sheet

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of finding analytical solutions for a finite rectangular sheet with uniform charge. The problem is described as difficult to solve, but solutions have been obtained using Mathematica. However, these solutions have imaginary parts in the components of the electric field and may need to be adjusted or transformed. The possibility of working with potentials instead is also mentioned as a potential solution. The conversation ends with the hope of using these equations in an electrodynamics simulator.
keenPenguin
Hi,

I have been trying to find analytical solutions for a finite rectangular sheet, say, in the xy plane, with dimensions a and b. Assume it is uniformly charged.

An excellent (and short) description of the problem is here. The three integrals for Ex(x,y,z), Ey(x,y,z) and Ez(x,y,z) given on the second page are easy to derive (integrating Coulomb's law for a point charge over a plane) but hard to solve. I obtained solutions by Mathematica which qualitatively look right but quantitatively are doubtful: They have imaginary parts in the components of the E field. If there is any interest I would be happy to share the Mathematica notebook or post some vector field plots.

Maybe somebody has seen these solutions fully written out in some book or paper? I would like to use the equations for an electrodynamics simulator I am coding in my spare time, hoping to avoid doing the full nasty integration by hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
A finite, infinitely thin, rectangular sheet of uniform charge.
You would need to look at how mathematica has performed the caculation - you may need to drop the complex part as non-physical or do some other transformation to get a real-valued field.

It may also be easier to work out the potentials instead.
But basically the edges make this very nasty.

Related to Analytical solutions for electric field of finite rectangular sheet

1. What is an analytical solution for electric field?

An analytical solution for electric field refers to a mathematical expression that describes the electric field at a particular point in space. It is derived by solving the relevant equations using mathematical techniques, rather than through experimental measurements.

2. What is a finite rectangular sheet?

A finite rectangular sheet is a two-dimensional surface with a rectangular shape and a finite size. In the context of electric fields, it is often used as a simplified model for objects such as metal plates or circuit boards.

3. How is the electric field of a finite rectangular sheet calculated analytically?

The electric field of a finite rectangular sheet can be calculated analytically by using the appropriate equations from electrostatics, such as Gauss's law or the superposition principle. The specific approach and mathematical techniques used will depend on the geometry and boundary conditions of the problem.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving an analytical solution for the electric field of a finite rectangular sheet?

The assumptions made in deriving an analytical solution for the electric field of a finite rectangular sheet may include assuming the sheet is infinitely thin, has a uniform charge density, and is located in a vacuum. These assumptions help simplify the problem and make it more solvable mathematically.

5. How accurate are analytical solutions for the electric field of a finite rectangular sheet compared to experimental measurements?

Analytical solutions for the electric field of a finite rectangular sheet are typically very accurate, as they are derived from fundamental equations and do not rely on experimental measurements. However, the accuracy may be affected by the assumptions made and the complexity of the problem. In some cases, experimental measurements may be necessary to validate the analytical solution.