Analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2D problem of thermal stresses in a rectangular plate with fixed displacement conditions, where the temperature changes only in the y direction. The person is seeking an analytical solution for this problem and asks for suggestions on where to find it. The solution is suggested to be a product of cos(x) and cos(y) with different harmonic periods or tanh(x) times a polynomial of y.
Sargam
Hello everybody,

I am solving a 2D problem of thermal stresses in a rectangular plate in which temperature is changing only y direction. Plate has fixed displacement conditions. Could anyone help me to find out analytical solution of thermal stresses for my problem? Does anyone suggest me where I can find analytical solution?

Thanks in advance.

Sargam

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are "fixed displacement conditions"?

Solutions could be something like a parabola or a cosine in the transverse direction, multiplied by a tanh in the expansion direction. Try a few ones.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have mistakenly mention fixed displacement boundary condition but actually all surfaces of rectangle are traction free (free surfaces). Temperature change is parabolic on y-axis.

Could you please let me know where I can get analytical solution for this problem?

If temperature is uniform along the X axis and all edges are free to move, stress is zero everywhere, whatever the profile is along the Y axis.

In the more general case, try a product of cos(x) and cos(y) with different harmonic periods - but a particular polynomial solution can look good.

Enthalpy said:
If temperature is uniform along the X axis and all edges are free to move, stress is zero everywhere, whatever the profile is along the Y axis.

I think I can see how you reached that (wrong) conclusion, but what about non-zero shear strains in the plate, and the stresses they create?

The direct stress component normal to a free edge must be zero, but the other stress components along a free edge need not be zero. Axial tension in a rod is a simple (non-thermal) example.

Right!

It must be something like tanh(x) times a polynomial of y.

Related to Analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate

1. What is an analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate?

An analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate is a mathematical model that calculates the distribution of thermal stresses in a rectangular plate based on its material properties, boundary conditions, and temperature changes.

2. How is an analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate derived?

An analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate is derived using the equations of elasticity and heat transfer, along with assumptions and simplifications, to solve for the stress components in the plate.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of an analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate?

The accuracy of an analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate can be affected by factors such as the complexity of the plate's geometry, the accuracy of the material properties used, and the assumptions made in the derivation of the solution.

4. How can an analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate be used in engineering applications?

An analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate can be used to predict and analyze thermal stresses in various engineering applications, such as in the design of structures and components subjected to thermal loading.

5. Are there any limitations to using an analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate?

Yes, there are limitations to using an analytical solution for thermal stresses in a rectangular plate. These include the assumptions and simplifications made in the derivation of the solution, which may not accurately represent real-world conditions, and the inability to account for non-uniform temperature distributions or transient thermal loading.