Analysis of a general function with a specific argument

In summary: But short. The limit definition of ##\frac{d}{dx}\sin(\frac{1}{x})## could also help. What do you mean by treating ##x## as ##f(x)##? I think it should read:$$ f : \mathbb{R}-\{0\} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}\, , \,x \longmapsto f(x) := 1+\frac{1}{2}\sin(\frac{1}{x})$$or ##f=\{(x,y)\,\vert \,y=1+\frac{1}{2}\sin(\frac{1}{x}) \wedge x
Quireno
Hello everybody,
I'm currently helping a friend on an assignment of his, but we are both stumbled on this exercise, I'm posting it here

We define a function ##f## which goes from ##\mathbb{R}## to ##\mathbb{R}## such that its argument maps as
$$
x \mapsto 1+\frac{1}{2}\sin\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)
$$
Show that
$$
\forall x,y \in\mathbb{R}\quad |f(x)-f(y)|\leq \frac{1}{2}\left|\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y}\right|
$$
and deduce that
$$
\forall x,y \in [1,\infty) \quad |f(x)-f(y)|\leq \frac{1}{2}\left|x-y\right|
$$
That's it. The fact that it treats the limit of a general funtion with that argument is what is confusing, I tried to get a counterexample but haven't succeed. If anyone knows the first step on how to solve this or a hint it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion: Try letting ## u=1/x ## and ## v=1/y ## to show the first relation. Then basically you need to show that ## |sin(u)-sin(v)| \leq |u-v| ## . ## \\ ## editing... For the second part, If ## |1/x-1/y|>... ##, since ## |1/x-1/y|=|(x-y)/(xy) | ##, if x,y>1, clearly ## |x-y|>|(x-y)/(xy) | ##, so the second part follows if you can prove the first.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
Suggestion: Try letting ## u=1/x ## and ## v=1/y ## to show the first relation. Then basically you need to show that ## |sin(u)-sin(v)| <=|u-v| ##
Thank you, but my problem persists: I am dealing with a general function here. Let's say ##u=x^{-1}## and ##v=y^{-1}##, now I have to prove that
$$
\forall u,v \in\mathbb{R}\quad \left|f\left(1+\frac{\sin(u)}{2}\right)-f\left(1+\frac{\sin(v)}{2}\right)\right| \leq \frac{1}{2}\left|u-v\right|
$$
but ##f## can be any function! What am I missing?

Quireno said:
Thank you, but my problem persists: I am dealing with a general function here. Let's say ##u=x^{-1}## and ##v=y^{-1}##, now I have to prove that
$$
\forall u,v \in\mathbb{R}\quad \left|f\left(1+\frac{\sin(u)}{2}\right)-f\left(1+\frac{\sin(v)}{2}\right)\right| \leq \frac{1}{2}\left|u-v\right|
$$
but ##f## can be any function! What am I missing?
I thought the mapping gives you f(x). Maybe I misinterpreted the problem. But I think I may have, in fact, interpreted it correctly...Usually as I know it, the function is the mapping.

Charles Link said:
the function is the mapping
Do you mean that the function does not matter? Maybe you are right, but can you explain further?

Quireno said:
Do you mean that the function does not matter? Maybe you are right, but can you explain further?
My major in college was physics and not math, but usually when they say "there is a mapping" that defines the function. In this case ## f(x)=1+(1/2)sin(1/x) ##. That's how I interpreted it. Maybe some other members who are or were math majors can also give their inputs. @Ray Vickson @fresh_42

Charles Link said:
My major in college was physics and not math, but usually when they say "there is a mapping" that defines the function. In this case ## f(x)=1+(1/2)sin(1/x) ##. That's how I interpreted it. Maybe some other members who are or were math majors can also give their inputs. @Ray Vickson @fresh_42
That's my interpretation, too. I don't get things like "any function" or "the function doesn't matter".
Unless otherwise stated, ##f(x)=1+\frac{1}{2}\sin{\frac{1}{x}}##. However "goes from ##\mathbb{R}## to ##\mathbb{R}##" is also mysterious, since ##f(0)## isn't defined. For the same reason the for all quantifier isn't correct.

I suppose this question should have been in the homework section, in which case I would demand some efforts by the OP to see where he actually got stuck and which mathematical environment may be used. As an ##I## labeled calculus question I would refer to the Taylor series of the sine function or the first differentiation.

Likes Charles Link
fresh_42 said:
That's my interpretation, too. I don't get things like "any function" or "the function doesn't matter".
Unless otherwise stated, ##f(x)=1+\frac{1}{2}\sin{\frac{1}{x}}##. However "goes from ##\mathbb{R}## to ##\mathbb{R}##" is also mysterious, since ##f(0)## isn't defined. For the same reason the for all quantifier isn't correct.

I suppose this question should have been in the homework section, in which case I would demand some efforts by the OP to see where he actually got stuck and which mathematical environment may be used. As an ##I## labeled calculus question I would refer to the Taylor series of the sine function or the first differentiation.
Ok, I will try to do the exercise by treating the x as f(x). This could have been a misinterpretation of notation by myself. As for the expansion, I don't think it is neither necessary nor convenient.

Quireno said:
Ok, I will try to do the exercise by treating the x as f(x). This could have been a misinterpretation of notation by myself. As for the expansion, I don't think it is neither necessary nor convenient.
But short. The limit definition of ##\frac{d}{dx}\sin(\frac{1}{x})## could also help. What do you mean by treating ##x## as ##f(x)##? I think it should read:
$$ f : \mathbb{R}-\{0\} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}\, , \,x \longmapsto f(x) := 1+\frac{1}{2}\sin(\frac{1}{x})$$
or ##f=\{(x,y)\,\vert \,y=1+\frac{1}{2}\sin(\frac{1}{x}) \wedge x\in \mathbb{R} \wedge x\neq 0\}## if you like.

fresh_42 said:
But short. The limit definition of ##\frac{d}{dx}\sin(\frac{1}{x})## could also help. What do you mean by treating ##x## as ##f(x)##? I think it should read:
$$ f : \mathbb{R}-\{0\} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}\, , \,x \longmapsto f(x) := 1+\frac{1}{2}\sin(\frac{1}{x})$$
or ##f=\{(x,y)\,\vert \,y=1+\frac{1}{2}\sin(\frac{1}{x}) \wedge x\in \mathbb{R} \wedge x\neq 0\}## if you like.
Nevermind me, I'm just confused.
Anyway, I have now the first part
$$
\left|\left(1+\frac{\sin(u)}{2}\right)-\left(1+\frac{\sin(v)}{2}\right)\right|=\left|\frac{\sin(u)}{2}-\frac{\sin(v)}{2}\right|=\frac{|\sin(u)-\sin(v)|}{2}\leq \frac{1}{2}\left|u-v\right|
$$
which can be proved by the mean value theorem
$$
\cos x=\frac{\sin u-\sin v}{u-v}\qquad \Rightarrow \frac{\sin u-\sin v}{u-v}\leq1
$$

Some absolute values added and it looks o.k. to me. I don't know what the substitution is good for though, but anyway. And the mean value theorem is a deluxe version of the first derivative. This is one of the reasons the homework template is for. It is not meant to annoy members. It shall tell us which formulas are allowed, and which are not. Perhaps you were looking for a geometrical proof. We cannot know.

Will use the homework forum next time. Thank you, I can handle the problem from here.

You might have to take some care of the situation if zero is between ##x## and ##y##!

Related to Analysis of a general function with a specific argument

1. What is the purpose of analyzing a general function with a specific argument?

The purpose of this type of analysis is to gain a deeper understanding of how a function behaves for a specific input or value. This can help in making predictions, troubleshooting errors, and finding the optimal solution for a problem.

2. How do you choose the specific argument for the analysis?

The specific argument can be chosen based on the problem or hypothesis being studied. It can also be chosen to test the behavior of the function at different points or to compare it with other functions.

3. What are some common techniques used in analyzing a general function with a specific argument?

Some common techniques include graphing the function, finding its derivative, evaluating it at the specific argument, and using algebraic methods such as substitution and simplification.

4. Can analyzing a general function with a specific argument be applied to any type of function?

Yes, this type of analysis can be applied to any type of function, whether it is linear, quadratic, trigonometric, exponential, etc. The techniques used may vary depending on the type of function.

5. What are the benefits of analyzing a general function with a specific argument?

Analyzing a general function with a specific argument can help in understanding the behavior of the function, finding critical points, making predictions, and solving problems. It can also help in identifying patterns and relationships between the function and its argument.