AN Standard 37 degree taper fitting

In summary, the decision to use 37 degrees for the conical taper on an AN fitting was based on the extremes of possible angles and the difficulty in finding a gear ratio that would work.
Edward Camic
Does anyone know the reasoning behind the decision to use 37 degrees for the conical taper on an AN fitting? I understand this is a standard dimension for the fittings, but I am hoping to get a little background on how this came to be.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Early flare fittings had a 30 degree angle. Then the US government got involved and developed a family of 37 degree fittings for use in aircraft. Some good information from Parker: http://blog.parker.com/an-37-flare-vs-industrial-37-flare-fittings-whats-the-difference.

I don't know how they came up with 37 degrees, but we can look at the extremes of possible angles:
1) Very low angle - 5 to 10 degrees. It would be difficult to make the flare, difficult to assemble in a tight space, and difficult to get a good clamp fit while still able to disassemble.
2) Large angle - 90 degrees. Difficult to make the flare (tube cracking, need multiple steps), easy to assemble in a tight space, and easy to get a good clamp fit.

The extremes of angle have different problems, so there is an optimum in between that balances ease of flaring, ease of assembly and disassembly, and getting a reliable leak free connection. Finding the best angle is an optimization problem - the exact angle varies according to how each of the parameters in the optimization is weighted.

Likes Asymptotic and anorlunda
Edward Camic said:
I am hoping to get a little background on how this came to be.
Machine tapers are specified by radius change per axial length. That is because the cross-feed on a cutting lathe is geared to the lead-screw by an integer ratio gearbox. The USA units are “inches per foot” so US tapers often show submultiples of 12” per foot.

Tan( 37° ) = 0.753554 which is close to 3/4.
Atan( 3/4 ) = 36.87° and I think that is where that choice of taper comes from.

To cut a 30° taper would require an irrational gear ratio of 0.57735 which is not possible with a simple gearbox.

Likes 2milehi, Edward Camic, Asymptotic and 4 others
Super helpful and interesting, thanks everyone!

Likes berkeman

Related to AN Standard 37 degree taper fitting

1. What is an AN Standard 37 degree taper fitting?

An AN Standard 37 degree taper fitting is a type of fitting commonly used in the aerospace and automotive industries for connecting fluid and gas lines. It has a 37 degree taper angle and is designed to provide a tight and leak-proof seal.

2. What are the advantages of using AN Standard 37 degree taper fittings?

AN Standard 37 degree taper fittings offer several advantages, including their ability to handle high pressure and vibration, their compact size, and their compatibility with a wide range of fluids and gases. They also have a standardized design, making them easy to install and replace.

3. How do I determine the size of an AN Standard 37 degree taper fitting?

The size of an AN Standard 37 degree taper fitting is determined by its dash number, which corresponds to the outside diameter of the tubing it is designed to fit. For example, a -6 fitting is designed for 3/8 inch tubing, while a -12 fitting is designed for 3/4 inch tubing.

4. What materials are AN Standard 37 degree taper fittings made of?

AN Standard 37 degree taper fittings are typically made of aluminum, stainless steel, or titanium. These materials offer high strength, corrosion resistance, and durability, making them suitable for use in demanding environments.

5. Can AN Standard 37 degree taper fittings be used for both metric and imperial tubing?

Yes, AN Standard 37 degree taper fittings can be used for both metric and imperial tubing. However, it is important to ensure that the fitting and tubing have compatible dash numbers to ensure a proper fit and seal.