An observation about my bench saw

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observation
In summary: Just FYI. In summary, the Ryobi lawnmower has some power, but is hard to start. It runs better if you have the correct bottom half-shaft.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think I have figured out the translation for "Ryobi"

I believe it means

"I wish I bought a Bosch."

Physics news on Phys.org
Chi Meson said:
I think I have figured out the translation for "Ryobi"

I believe it means

"I wish I bought a Bosch."
or Skil or DeWalt. I've used Skil power tools, and I have a DeWalt miter saw. I love the clean cut.

My dad had a Black & Decker saw and he built a work bench/table. I imagine that one could do the same with a Milwaukee, Skill or DeWalt miter saw.

Astronuc said:
or Skil or DeWalt. I've used Skil power tools, and I have a DeWalt miter saw. I love the clean cut.

My dad had a Black & Decker saw and he built a work bench/table. I imagine that one could do the same with a Milwaukee, Skill or DeWalt miter saw.

Don't get me too wrong; the Ryobi bench saw is "alright." But I have been doing a lot of construction lately, and the little tiny differences between mine and the Bosch my friend has makes me really wish I had spent the extra $80.

As a hobbyist and occasional handyman, I love my Ryobi One+ tools. However, for my table and mitre saw, I went Ridgid and Bosch respectively. The life time warranties on both, along with the pro-sumer features, and the fact that I got them on sale for just a little more than the mid or even high-end Ryobi / other house brand tools sealed the deal for me.

I thought that Ridgid was the higher-end Ryobi, but that's probably just because I only see the two of them at the Home Depot (at least here in Canada):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIDGID

Ryobi is owned by Techtronic Industries (not to be confused with Tektronix), who also produce similar house-branded tools for other chains (I think Craftsman 19.2V tools have the exact same innards as the Ryobi tools), as well as Milwaukee tools:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techtronic_Industries

I use the dewalt dw717. Superb piece of kit.
Ryobi are good for basic home DIY. From seeing people on site with Ryobi they tend not to last as long. Same for the drills, they don't last as long, charge time, and I've seen them burn out. I personally use Hilti. It's the usual thing, you get what you pay for.

I'm not talking down Ryobi I'm sure there a good brand for DIY.

Last edited:
I have a no-name-brand table saw a friend gave to me. I think it was partial payback for an oscilloscope I gave him years ago. It came equipped with a really thin blade that is a wonder to behold. As a piece is guided through the blade at any-other-than 90 degrees, standing waves are set-up in the blade. The standing wave doesn't just sit in one location in the shop-frame but slowly cycles around the circumference. Very cool to watch (and more fun to deliberately induce) but makes for a lousy cut.

I don't have favourites for tools and appliances. I do know, from past experience with a couple of different drills (one cordless), that I will never again buy anything with a Black and Decker affiliation. I don't care whether it's a saw or a toaster oven; it ain't welcome in my house.
My "lawn :rolleyes:" consists of timothy hay, quackgrass, and wild oats. No lawnmower of a residential nature can handle it. I therefore decided that a gas-powered weed whacker was the appropriate approach. I did a bit of a checkout of some models, and finally bought the 30cc Ryobi for a couple of reasons. First was that the thing has some serious cutting power. I mowed my entire lawn with it a couple of times. The other reason is that it runs a split shaft. Half-way down the arm is a quick disconnect joint. For an extra $50 or so (the original purchase was about $250), I can get different bottom half-shafts with a hedge trimmer, edger, chainsaw...
Unfortunately, the damned thing is almost impossible to start. 30:1 premix, check; pump primer bulb 8 times, check; choke to 'start', check; full throttle on the trigger, check; pull cord, check; pull cord again, check; pu... ad infinitum.
It runs like a bat out of hell if you can get it to run at all.

edit: By the bye, it apparently has no idle circuit in the carb, because it dies if you release the trigger.

Last edited:

Related to An observation about my bench saw

1. What is a bench saw and what is it used for?

A bench saw, also known as a table saw, is a woodworking tool that is used for cutting wood and other materials with precision and accuracy. It consists of a circular saw blade mounted on an arbor and is typically used for making straight cuts on large pieces of wood.

2. How does a bench saw work?

A bench saw works by using a motor to rotate a circular blade at high speeds. The blade is mounted on an arbor which allows it to move up and down, allowing for different cutting depths. The wood is guided through the blade by a rip fence or miter gauge to ensure straight and accurate cuts.

3. What safety precautions should I take when using a bench saw?

When using a bench saw, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as safety glasses and ear protection. Always make sure the blade guard and riving knife are in place and use a push stick to guide the wood through the blade. Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry and always keep your hands away from the blade.

4. How do I maintain and care for my bench saw?

To maintain your bench saw, regularly clean dust and debris from the table and blade. Keep the blade sharp and make sure all parts are properly lubricated. Check the alignment of the blade and make adjustments as needed. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for any specific maintenance or care recommendations.

5. What are some common features to look for in a bench saw?

When choosing a bench saw, consider the size and power of the motor, the size and durability of the table, and the safety features such as a blade guard and riving knife. Look for a saw with adjustable cutting angles and a dust collection system. It is also important to consider the quality and reputation of the brand when making your decision.