An object rolling along a hemispherical bowl

• Thread starter Momentum09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rolling
In summary, a uniform solid sphere of mass 1.5kg and radius 0.473m is released from rest at an angle of 66.9 degrees from the vertical on the inside surface of a hemispherical bowl of radius 2.77m. The sphere rolls without slipping and we are asked to find the potential energy lost, translational velocity, and angular velocity when it reaches the bottom of the bowl. Using the equations for potential energy and kinetic energy, we can find the potential energy lost and set it equal to the total final energy, which is the sum of the translational and rotational kinetic energies. By setting these equal, we can find a relation between the angular velocity and the linear velocity, as the sphere
Momentum09

Homework Statement

A uniform solid sphere (moment of inertia = 2/5 mr^2) of mass 1.5kg and radius r = 0.473m, is placed on the inside surface of a hemispherical bowl of radius R = 2.77m. The sphere is released from rest at an angle of 66.9 degrees from the vertical and rolls without slipping.
a) How much potential energy has the sphere lost when it reaches the bottom of the bowl?
b) What is the translational velocity of the sphere when it reaches the bottom of the bowl?
c) What is the angular velocity of the sphere when it reaches the bottom of the bowl?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 Iw^2. PE = mgh.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, do I just do (1.5kg)(9.8)(2.77sin66.9)?
After I find PE, I will just equate it with 1/2 mv^2 to find the translational velocity and 1/2 Iw^2 to find the angular velocity?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum09 said:
For part a, do I just do (1.5kg)(9.8)(2.77sin66.9)?
After I find PE, I will just equate it with 1/2 mv^2 to find the translational velocity and 1/2 Iw^2 to find the angular velocity?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
part a looks fine. part b is not fine. the total energy initially is PE + KE_trans + KE_rot. this must equal the total final energy PE_f + KE_trans_f+KE_rot_f. Part a is the value of PE and PE_f=0.

thus set PE = KE_trans_f + KE_rot_f

not equal to each individually.

And find a relation between the angular velocity and the linear velocity, since it 'rolls without slipping'.

I got it. Thank you so much!

Related to An object rolling along a hemispherical bowl

1. What is the physics behind an object rolling along a hemispherical bowl?

When an object rolls along a hemispherical bowl, it follows the principles of circular motion and conservation of energy. It experiences a centripetal force towards the center of the bowl, which keeps it moving in a circular path. The object also has kinetic and potential energy, which are constantly being converted as it rolls.

2. What factors affect the speed of an object rolling along a hemispherical bowl?

The speed of the object is affected by the radius of the bowl, the mass and shape of the object, and the angle at which it is released. A larger radius will result in a higher speed, while a smaller mass and a steeper angle will also increase the speed.

3. How does the shape of the bowl affect the motion of the rolling object?

The shape of the bowl plays a crucial role in the motion of the rolling object. A hemispherical bowl provides a constant radius for the object to follow, resulting in a consistent speed. If the bowl is not perfectly hemispherical, the radius may change, causing the object's speed to vary.

4. What is the difference between the motion of an object rolling along a hemispherical bowl and a flat surface?

The main difference between the two is the presence of a centripetal force in the hemispherical bowl. This force is not present on a flat surface, which means the object can continue rolling at a constant speed without any external force acting upon it. Additionally, the potential energy of the object is constant on a flat surface, while it changes in a hemispherical bowl due to the varying radius.

5. Can an object roll indefinitely along a hemispherical bowl?

No, an object cannot roll indefinitely along a hemispherical bowl due to friction. As the object rolls, it experiences frictional forces that slow it down, eventually causing it to stop. Additionally, the potential energy of the object decreases as it rolls, also contributing to its eventual stop. This is why a perpetual motion machine is not possible.