An emf self-induced in a solenoid of inductance L changes. .

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total charge that passes through a solenoid with a changing self-induced emf. The participants discuss using integration and differentiation to find the charge and suggest using the equation E = E_0e^(-kt) to solve the problem. They also mention that the equation for voltage in an inductor may need to be adjusted depending on the polarity. Overall, the focus is on finding charge in terms of the exponential function.
Adn4n
An emf self-induced in a solenoid of inductance L changes in time as
E=E_0e^(-kt)
Find the total charge that passes through the solenoid, if the charge is finite. (Use E_0 for 0, k, and L as necessary.)

Now I know that the induced emf is

E_L=-L(dI/dt)
I'm having a hard time on this problem since I'm looking for the charge, and not for the current which I believe I have to determine in the first place. I'm not sure how to exactly find di/dt and then relate it to the charge. Could anyone assist with this please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that I have to take the integral of an equation twice, though I do not know how to incorporate L and the given equation into one really.

I don't see any integration, but rather differentiation. They tell you that [tex]E = E_0 e^{-kt}[/tex] - this is a given correct? So, what about using chain rule to find [tex]\frac{di}{dt}[/tex], which will give you charge?

I know how to differentiate the equation, but I don't know how that gives me dI/dt, could you elaborate?

Oh, whoops, I think I misinterpreted the problem. It is not asking you to find the rate of change of voltage with respect to charge, that's what I thought at least. This is really just some algebra to find Q(t).

I can put you on the right track if you want. Your equation for the voltage (EMF) in an inductor could be wrong, though I'm not really sure what sign convention was used for the polarity through the inductor in the circuit you are analyzing (so it could be either positive or negative, but it is usually positive). Anyway, you have already said that you know charge as being proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to inductance. You also said that you know voltage is proportional to the exponential function. Use equalities and you can get charge in terms of the exponential.

Related to An emf self-induced in a solenoid of inductance L changes. .

1. What is an emf self-induced in a solenoid?

An emf self-induced in a solenoid is an electromotive force that is generated within the solenoid itself due to a change in the magnetic field within the solenoid. This change in magnetic field can be caused by a changing current or by moving the solenoid through a magnetic field.

2. How is emf self-induced in a solenoid measured?

The emf self-induced in a solenoid is measured in units of volts (V) and can be calculated using the equation: emf = -L * (dI/dt), where L is the inductance of the solenoid and (dI/dt) is the rate of change of current within the solenoid.

3. What is the relationship between inductance and emf self-induced in a solenoid?

The emf self-induced in a solenoid is directly proportional to the inductance of the solenoid. This means that as the inductance increases, the emf self-induced in the solenoid also increases.

4. How does changing the inductance of a solenoid affect the emf self-induced in the solenoid?

Changing the inductance of a solenoid can affect the emf self-induced in the solenoid by changing the rate at which the magnetic field within the solenoid changes. This, in turn, can change the magnitude of the emf self-induced in the solenoid.

5. Are there any real-world applications of emf self-induced in a solenoid?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of emf self-induced in a solenoid. Inductors, which are made up of coiled solenoids, are commonly used in electronic circuits to control and regulate the flow of electricity. They are also used in power generation and transmission systems to reduce power loss. Additionally, emf self-induced in a solenoid is utilized in devices like generators and transformers.