An eigenstates, eigenvectors and eigenvalues question

In summary: S_x-\lambda I|=0. is a lot easier and faster to solve ;)about the second question, it works in the same way:A(|Sx+> + |Sy+>) = λ (|Sx+> + |Sy+>)=> (A-λI)(|Sx+> + |Sy+>) = 0A-λI = 0; Fill in λ = 1/sqrt(2) and the matrix will be (1/sqrt(2) 0; 0 1/sqrt(2) ) It's been a while since I did this, I could be wrong
pigletbear
Good evening :-)

I have an exam on Wednesday and am working through some past papers. My uni doesn't give the model answers out, and I have come a bit stuck with one question. I have done part one, but not sure where to go from here, would be great if someone could point me in the right direction:

S2) Show that the state vectors |Sx+> = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{}2}[/itex] times a 2x1 matrix (1,1) and |Sy+> = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{}2}[/itex] times a 2x1 matrix (1,-1) are eigenvectors of Sx = h/2 times a 2x2 matrix (0 1, 1 0) with respective eigenvalues plus and minus h/2...

This I can do by using |A - λI| = 0, finding the eigenvalues, then using A.v=λv and setting up simutaneous quations to find the eigenvalues

Part two... Of what operator is the state [itex]\frac{1}{sqrt{}2[/itex]}[/itex]/[itex](|Sx+> + |Sy+>) and eigenstate, and with what eigenvalue...

Any help would be great and much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
pigletbear said:
Good evening :-)

I have an exam on Wednesday and am working through some past papers. My uni doesn't give the model answers out, and I have come a bit stuck with one question. I have done part one, but not sure where to go from here, would be great if someone could point me in the right direction:

S2) Show that the state vectors |Sx+> = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{}2}[/itex] times a 2x1 matrix (1,1) and |Sy+> = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{}2}[/itex] times a 2x1 matrix (1,-1) are eigenvectors of Sx = h/2 times a 2x2 matrix (0 1, 1 0) with respective eigenvalues plus and minus h/2...

This I can do by using |A - λI| = 0, finding the eigenvalues, then using A.v=λv and setting up simutaneous quations to find the eigenvalues

Part two... Of what operator is the state [itex]\frac{1}{sqrt{}2[/itex]}[/itex]/[itex](|Sx+> + |Sy+>) and eigenstate, and with what eigenvalue...

Any help would be great and much appreciated

Hello!
My suggestion is to try to explicitly add up the two states in matrix notation...
The answer should then be obvious to you :)

Edit:
The answer you gave to the first question is right. Nevertheless it is more time consuming then it was necessary and time is precious during exams :)
You have to show that those are egenvectors with given eigenvalue, so you could simply show that

[itex]S_x |S_x ± \rangle = ± \frac{h}{2}|S_x ± \rangle [/itex],

without solving the egenvalue equation

[itex]|S_x-\lambda I|=0[/itex].

Ilm

Last edited:
Ilmrak said:
Hello!
My suggestion is to try to explicitly add up the two states in matrix notation...
The answer should then be obvious to you :)

Edit:
The answer you gave to the first question is right. Nevertheless it is more time consuming then it was necessary and time is precious during exams :)
You have to show that those are egenvectors with given eigenvalue, so you could simply show that

[itex]S_x |S_x ± \rangle = ± \frac{h}{2}|S_x ± \rangle [/itex],

without solving the egenvalue equation
Ilm

[itex]|S_x-\lambda I|=0[/itex]. is a lot easier and faster to solve ;)

about the second question, it works in the same way:

A(|Sx+> + |Sy+>) = λ (|Sx+> + |Sy+>)

=> (A-λI)(|Sx+> + |Sy+>) = 0

A-λI = 0; Fill in λ = 1/sqrt(2) and the matrix will be (1/sqrt(2) 0; 0 1/sqrt(2) )

It's been a while since I did this, I could be wrong ofcourse.. (and it looks a bit to easy, but hey?)edit: I think I'm wrong...

Dreak said:
[itex]|S_x-\lambda I|=0[/itex]. is a lot easier and faster to solve ;)[...]

Yes it is easy but no, it isn't faster.
And if it were a bigger matrix (or worst a differential operator) it wouldn't be so easy to solve that equation while it would still be easy to let a matrix (or a differential operator) act on a vector (or a function).
To solve an equation is (almost) always more difficult than checking one solution ^^

Ilm

Related to An eigenstates, eigenvectors and eigenvalues question

1. What are eigenstates, eigenvectors, and eigenvalues?

Eigenstates, eigenvectors, and eigenvalues are concepts in linear algebra that are used to understand the behavior of a system. An eigenstate is a state in which a system remains unchanged after a certain transformation is applied to it. An eigenvector is a vector that represents this unchanged state. An eigenvalue is a scalar that represents the amount by which the eigenvector is stretched or compressed during the transformation.

2. How are eigenstates, eigenvectors, and eigenvalues used in science?

Eigenstates, eigenvectors, and eigenvalues are used in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, physics, and engineering. They are used to analyze and model the behavior of complex systems, such as atoms, molecules, and physical structures. They also have applications in data analysis, image processing, and machine learning.

3. What is the difference between eigenstates and eigenvalues?

Eigenstates and eigenvalues are two related but distinct concepts. Eigenstates refer to the state of a system, while eigenvalues refer to the amount by which the state is changed during a transformation. In other words, an eigenstate is a vector and an eigenvalue is a scalar.

4. How are eigenstates, eigenvectors, and eigenvalues calculated?

The calculation of eigenstates, eigenvectors, and eigenvalues involves finding the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of a matrix. This can be done using various numerical methods, such as the power iteration method, the QR algorithm, or the singular value decomposition. These methods involve iterative calculations and can be performed using computational software or programming languages such as MATLAB or Python.

5. What are some real-world examples of eigenstates, eigenvectors, and eigenvalues?

Eigenstates, eigenvectors, and eigenvalues are used in various real-world applications. For example, in quantum mechanics, the energy states of an atom are represented by eigenstates, and the corresponding energy levels are represented by eigenvalues. In engineering, they are used to analyze the stability and dynamics of physical structures. In data analysis, they are used to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset and identify important features or patterns.