Amplitude of a process + interference term, how what?

In summary, According to the article, when we compute the probability for a process that leads to a certain final state, we must add the amplitudes of all the particles that contribute to that final state.
moss
Hello guys,

Suppose a process 1+2--->3+4 proceeds thru 3 different intermediate particles and has 3 Feynman diagrams. When we compute the probability then what does the cross terms( interference ) mean? and do we have to always compute the cross terms?

What I mean is that when you have 3 Feynman diags for a process then, you add the amplitudes and then absolute square? or you absolute square and then add? why and why not?

Suppose also that the coupling constants are all different in the 3 Feynman diagrams.

Can anybody tell me that are there any conditions when you don't consider those cross terms or interference terms?
If you know of any text or article where I can read about this then help me out.
THX.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
moss said:
When we compute the probability then what does the cross terms( interference ) mean?
The same as interference in a double-slit. In quantum mechanics we have to add amplitudes, not probabilities. Why? Well, it is an experimental result. Otherwise we would not need quantum mechanic, but classical mechanics (where you add probabilities) gives the wrong result.
moss said:
and do we have to always compute the cross terms?
Directly or indirectly, yes, as they influence the probability.

mfb said:
The same as interference in a double-slit. In quantum mechanics we have to add amplitudes, not probabilities. Why? Well, it is an experimental result. Otherwise we would not need quantum mechanic, but classical mechanics (where you add probabilities) gives the wrong result.Directly or indirectly, yes, as they influence the probability.

You mean that e.g the chiral electron+positron -->muon+anti-muon one has to sum the amplitudes of all the polarized out-coming muon and then compute probability? what about first computing the probability and then adding them? My qs. is based on Peskin & Schroeder 5.22 till 5.24.
This is confusing me really, help me a bit more. THX.

All processes that lead to the same final state have to be added with their amplitudes.
For different final states (e.g. different polarizations) you don't add amplitudes of course. That's like adding amplitudes of electron/positron and muon/antimuon production: how would that make sense?

mfb said:
All processes that lead to the same final state have to be added with their amplitudes.
For different final states (e.g. different polarizations) you don't add amplitudes of course. That's like adding amplitudes of electron/positron and muon/antimuon production: how would that make sense?

Please confirm; For the same final state we add amplitude and then compute probability, even if the final state is reached thru different Feynman diags. with different coupling constants. For different final states (helicity staes) we compute probability separately then add ...Right??

moss said:
Please confirm; For the same final state we add amplitude and then compute probability, even if the final state is reached thru different Feynman diags. with different coupling constants. For different final states (helicity staes) we compute probability separately then add ...Right??
Sure.
This is standard quantum mechanics.

mfb said:
Sure.
This is standard quantum mechanics.
Thanks mfb...it is about 10 years I did all that and forgot and the funny thing is that link above of Feynman lectures, same thing is collecting dust in my bookshelf.

Related to Amplitude of a process + interference term, how what?

1. What is the amplitude of a process?

The amplitude of a process refers to the strength or magnitude of a particular physical process or phenomenon. It is a measure of how likely a process is to occur, and is often represented by a complex number in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the interference term in relation to the amplitude of a process?

The interference term is a component of the amplitude of a process that takes into account the constructive or destructive interference of different pathways or possibilities for the process to occur. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How is the amplitude of a process calculated?

The amplitude of a process can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles from quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. These calculations involve determining the probability amplitudes for different possible outcomes of a process and taking into account the interference term.

4. What is the significance of the amplitude of a process + interference term?

The combination of the amplitude of a process and the interference term is important in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows us to predict the likelihood of different outcomes for a process and make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles in experiments.

5. Can the amplitude of a process + interference term be observed or measured?

No, the amplitude of a process + interference term cannot be directly observed or measured. However, the effects of these components can be observed through experiments and calculations, which have been shown to be in agreement with the principles of quantum mechanics.