Amateur radio + frequency measurements

In summary, the effect of measurement tolerance, calibration accuracy, and time-related drift on frequency measurements is important to understand for accurate frequency readings. Time-related drift is caused by continuous crystal vibration, while measurement tolerance refers to the tolerated frequency range around the ideal measurement. Calibration accuracy, on the other hand, refers to how well the equipment is calibrated to generate or measure a frequency. This information is crucial for accurate frequency measurements.
JamesGoh
For an exam I am studying for, I have to understand the effect of measurement tolerance, calibration accuracy and time-related drift on frequency measurements.

Im aware that the time-related drift is due to the oscillator frequency becoming less accurate (due to continuous crystal vibration), however I am not sure about measurement tolerance and calibration accuracy.

Does measurement tolerance refer to a tolerated frequency range the ideal frequency measurement falls around ? (e.g say if I wanted to get an ideal reading of 9Hz and instead I get 8Hz, I would take 8Hz)

Im guessing that calibration accuracy would refer to how well the equipment has been calibrated to generate or measure a frequency (e.g. how well a crystal has been carved to generate a resonant frequency) ?

thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
JamesGoh said:
For an exam I am studying for, I have to understand the effect of measurement tolerance, calibration accuracy and time-related drift on frequency measurements.

Im aware that the time-related drift is due to the oscillator frequency becoming less accurate (due to continuous crystal vibration), however I am not sure about measurement tolerance and calibration accuracy.

Does measurement tolerance refer to a tolerated frequency range the ideal frequency measurement falls around ? (e.g say if I wanted to get an ideal reading of 9Hz and instead I get 8Hz, I would take 8Hz)

Im guessing that calibration accuracy would refer to how well the equipment has been calibrated to generate or measure a frequency (e.g. how well a crystal has been carved to generate a resonant frequency) ?

thanks in advance
There is a lot of information available about initial crystal oscillator accuracy (over temperature, etc.), and the effects of aging. The wikipedia article is pretty good, and this is a good survey paper:

https://www.semtech.com/uploads/documents/xo_precision_std.pdf

Likes anorlunda

Related to Amateur radio + frequency measurements

What is amateur radio?

Amateur radio, also known as ham radio, is a form of communication that involves using designated radio frequencies for personal and public use. It is primarily used by licensed individuals for recreational purposes, but can also be used for emergency communication and experimentation.

What are frequency measurements?

Frequency measurements refer to the process of determining the frequency of a signal, which is the number of times a radio wave oscillates per second. This is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) and is an important aspect of amateur radio as it allows operators to tune into specific frequencies for communication.

Do I need a license to use amateur radio?

Yes, in most countries, a license is required to operate amateur radio. The licensing process typically involves passing a test that demonstrates knowledge of radio theory, regulations, and operating procedures. Licenses are important for maintaining proper and safe use of the radio frequencies.

What equipment do I need for amateur radio?

The basic equipment needed for amateur radio includes a transceiver (a device that both transmits and receives radio signals), an antenna, and power source. Other optional equipment may include a microphone, headphones, and a computer for logging and digital modes.

Can I communicate with people from other countries using amateur radio?

Yes, amateur radio operators can communicate with individuals from all over the world. There are designated frequency bands for international communication, and operators often use techniques such as Morse code or digital modes to overcome language barriers. This is one of the exciting aspects of amateur radio and allows for cultural exchange and friendship building.