Am i going about this angular acceleration question the right way?

In summary, to find the average angular acceleration of a 0.023 g 1.0 inch long second hand on a wristwatch, the equation av=w/t can be used if the hand moves smoothly. If the watch delivers an impulse every second, the angular version of the distance equation can be used, but the starting and stopping of the hand must be considered.
livblue23

Homework Statement

A 0.023 g 1.0 inch long second hand on a wristwatch. Find its average angular acceleration?

Homework Equations

av=w/t

The Attempt at a Solution

so would i just do 0.023 g divided by 1 minute?

Physics news on Phys.org
this is an oddly phrased question.

If the second hand goes around smoothly, it won't have any acceleration just a constant velocity.

If it's one of those watches that delivers an impulse every second then the hand would move 1/60th of 360 degrees every second. In this case you could use the angular version of the distance equation and solve for a, but you'd have to consider that the second hand goes from 0 to some alpha, then from that alpha back to zero (starting and stopping).

note: (alpha is angular acceleration)

Last edited:

I cannot provide a direct answer to your question as it is against the principles of academic integrity. However, I can guide you in the right direction. To calculate average angular acceleration, you need to use the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final angular velocity, vi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval. In this case, you will need to convert the given values of mass and length into the appropriate units for angular velocity. I suggest reviewing the basic principles of angular acceleration and units of measurement to ensure you are approaching the question correctly.

Related to Am i going about this angular acceleration question the right way?

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It describes how quickly the rotational speed of an object is changing.

2. How do I calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula is: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

3. What are the units of angular acceleration?

The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s²) in the SI system, or degrees per second squared (deg/s²) in the imperial system.

4. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related by the radius of rotation. The linear acceleration of an object is equal to the angular acceleration multiplied by the radius of rotation.

5. How can I use angular acceleration in real-world applications?

Angular acceleration is an important concept in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to understand the motion and dynamics of rotating objects, such as wheels, gears, and planets.