Am I doing this right? - rotational motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a wheel with specific measurements and its motion in an uphill direction. The wheel starts with an angular speed of 16.1 rad/s and eventually comes to a stop and rolls back downhill. The question at hand is how far the wheel rolls in the uphill direction before stopping, with the suggested approach being to use the equation 1/2 Iw^2 + 1/2 mv^2 = mgh and trigonometry to find the hypotenuse. The person asking the question also confirms that this approach is correct and shares their experience with using it.
hoseA
Hint: Consider the wheel's energy.
Consider a wheel of radius 1.23 m, mass
7.7 kg and moment of inertia I =1/2 MR^2
(it's a solid disk). The wheel rolls without
slipping in a straight line in an uphill direction 30 degrees above the horizontal. The wheel starts at angular speed 16.1 rad/s but the ro-
tation slows down as the wheel rolls uphill,
and eventually the wheel comes to a stop and
rolls back downhill.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2
How far does the wheel roll in the uphill
direction before it stops? Answer in units of
m.

This is what I plan to do:

1. Use:

1/2 Iw^2 +1/2 mv^2 = mgh

by substituting Rw for v and solving for h.

2. "h" would equal the "y" component so I would then go on to use trig. to find the hypontenuse.

Would that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, it is correct

Thanks for the confirmation. I don't think I'm good at canceling variables out as I got the wrong answer the first time (tried to cancel out the masses). But the second time around I just plugged in everything and it came out to a different and correct answer. :)

Related to Am I doing this right? - rotational motion

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It can occur in both circular and non-circular paths.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis or center point. Additionally, linear motion involves displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while rotational motion involves angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

3. What are some examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a wheel, the movement of a merry-go-round, and the motion of a planet around the sun.

4. What factors affect rotational motion?

The factors that affect rotational motion include the mass, shape, and size of the object, the force applied to the object, and the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How do you calculate rotational motion?

To calculate rotational motion, you can use equations such as Torque = Force x Distance, Angular Velocity = Angular Displacement / Time, and Angular Acceleration = Change in Angular Velocity / Time.