Aluminium and Barium Nitrate reaction

In summary, the homework equation is B because adding more OH- would cause the reaction to shift to the left, and a low temperature would slow the rate of reaction, but the answer is A, why pH 7?Think what keeps aluminum powder relatively stable. Despite Al being highly reactive even in powdered form it doesn't react vigorously with the air oxygen. Why?Next step is to think how this lowered reactivity survives in neutral, acidic and caustic solutions.Aluminium forms a layer of oxide which makes it unreactive. It is an amphoteric oxide so it reacts with acids and bases, but it doesn't react with water, so aluminium will stay unchanged. Thanks I think I've understoodI am not sure what this explanation really
Janiceleong26
1. Homework Statement
image.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose B, because I thought adding more OH- would cause the reaction to shift to the left, and a low temperature would slow the rate of reaction, but the answer is A, why pH 7?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think what keeps aluminum powder relatively stable. Despite Al being highly reactive even in powdered form it doesn't react vigorously with the air oxygen. Why?

Next step is to think how this lowered reactivity survives in neutral, acidic and caustic solutions.

Borek said:
Think what keeps aluminum powder relatively stable. Despite Al being highly reactive even in powdered form it doesn't react vigorously with the air oxygen. Why?

Next step is to think how this lowered reactivity survives in neutral, acidic and caustic solutions.
Aluminium forms a layer of oxide which makes it unreactive. It is an amphoteric oxide so it reacts with acids and bases, but it doesn't react with water, so aluminium will stay unchanged. Thanks I think I've understood

Likes Borek
I am not sure what this explanation really is if you were to make it more explicit. It is not an easy question.
However I would be inclined to an explanation involving the protonation of the aluminium hydroxide and protonation and volatility effects on ammonia.

Last edited:
Likes Janiceleong26
epenguin said:
I am not sure what this explanation really is if you were to make it more explicit. It is not an easy question.
However I would be inclined to an explanation involving the protonation of the aluminium oxide and protonation and volatility effects on ammonia.
Oh I see..thanks

I should have said aluminium hydroxide. I am not sure you can be expected to know - I suspected, but had to look up, that this gets deprotonated going from pH 7 to 14. You can be expected to know or to be learning at this time that ammonium is essentially protonated at pH 7 (exists as ammonium ion) and not protonated (exists as NH3) at pH 14, and to relate this to any laboratory frequentation from which you may know that ammonia smells like hell and ammonium salts not, or not very.

I think it is all very well for them to tell you it's at pH 7 or 14. You may feel slightly left in the air. If it is at one pH or another something is making it so. You may wonder.

Last edited:
Likes Janiceleong26

Related to Aluminium and Barium Nitrate reaction

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between Aluminium and Barium Nitrate?

The chemical equation for the reaction between Aluminium and Barium Nitrate is 2Al + 3Ba(NO3)2 → 2Al(NO3)3 + 3Ba

2. What type of reaction occurs when Aluminium and Barium Nitrate are combined?

The reaction between Aluminium and Barium Nitrate is a double displacement reaction, also known as a metathesis reaction. This means that the reactants switch partners to form new products.

3. What are the products formed during the reaction between Aluminium and Barium Nitrate?

The products formed during the reaction between Aluminium and Barium Nitrate are Aluminium Nitrate (Al(NO3)3) and Barium (Ba).

4. Is the reaction between Aluminium and Barium Nitrate exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between Aluminium and Barium Nitrate is exothermic, meaning that it releases heat energy. This can be observed by the production of steam and the container becoming warm to the touch.

5. What are some practical applications of the Aluminium and Barium Nitrate reaction?

The reaction between Aluminium and Barium Nitrate is used in pyrotechnics, specifically in the creation of green fireworks. It is also used in the production of Barium Nitrate, which is used in the manufacturing of ceramics, glass, and other chemicals.