Alternative hypotheses regarding dark energy?

In summary: True. It is all hypothesis only. And mostly viewed only from the QT view. But maybe we find a geoemtric explanation such as a AdS in a D Brane. Then we don't need any exotic negative energy (dark energy) as a modern Aethertheory (Scalarfield). We have right now no answers, only speculations.
R. E. Nettleton
Currently, the favoured explanations for the accelerating expansion of the universe are the cosmological constant, and various scalar fields, most notably quintessence. All of these are mechanisms dependent on mathematical field properties.

My question is: do any alternative hypotheses exist which use more physical / exotic mechanisms, such as particles or spatial structures? How seriously are such propositions taken?

Space news on Phys.org
Why do you think fields are unphysical? It is what we use to describe everything else in physics. Particles are really not anything else than the quanta of excitations of different fields.

Until recently you might have argued that we have observed no fundamental scalar fields, but this is no longer true with the discovery of the Higgs (assuming that it is not composite).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's any that are viable. A lot of folks tend to want to modify gravity, since space time needs to be quantized anyway, everyone to me seems to be leaning towards a revision of GR.

You might want to check out this paper thought
http://pubs.sciepub.com/ijp/3/2/2/

which I personally thought sounds like a good hypothesis to Dark Energy, and Dark Matter, If you interested in the discussion you can check out this thread
also :
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/zipfs-law-and-darkmatter.837875/

Justice Hunter said:
... since space time needs to be quantized anyway ...
Why?

phinds said:
Why?

I mean, I'm not sure why, i would imagine that those infinities we ignore that arise out of non-quantized systems are going to get overhauled eventually by some more profound field theory right?

Nima arkani, and Susskind, the two physicists i like to listen to the most, think space-time should be overhauled. more specifically Nima says that it could be an emergent thing rather then an actual thing. Dark energy being emergent as well just makes sense to me also. But that's speculation.

Justice Hunter said:
I mean, I'm not sure why, i would imagine that those infinities we ignore that arise out of non-quantized systems are going to get overhauled eventually by some more profound field theory right?

Nima arkani, and Susskind, the two physicists i like to listen to the most, think space-time should be overhauled. more specifically Nima says that it could be an emergent thing rather then an actual thing. Dark energy being emergent as well just makes sense to me also. But that's speculation.
Yes, it is speculation. It could well be that space-time is quantized but I'm not aware of any theory as yet that shows that it has to be so your categorical statement was too strong.

phinds said:
Yes, it is speculation. It could well be that space-time is quantized but I'm not aware of any theory as yet that shows that it has to be so your categorical statement was too strong.

I stand corrected then, because I've always thought the goal to unite QM and GR was to quantize gravity.

Justice Hunter said:
i've always thought the goal to unite QM and GR was to quantize gravity

That is probably the most popular opinion among physicists, yes. But it's not the only possibility. Until we actually have a theory backed up by experiments in this area, the hypothesis that spacetime itself is quantized, however attractive it seems to many physicists, is still only a hypothesis.

Likes MacRudi
PeterDonis said:
That is probably the most popular opinion among physicists, yes. But it's not the only possibility. Until we actually have a theory backed up by experiments in this area, the hypothesis that spacetime itself is quantized, however attractive it seems to many physicists, is still only a hypothesis.

True. It is all hypothesis only. And mostly viewed only from the QT view. But maybe we find a geoemtric explanation such as a AdS in a D Brane. Then we don't need any exotic negative energy (dark energy) as a modern Aethertheory (Scalarfield). We have right now no answers, only speculations

Related to Alternative hypotheses regarding dark energy?

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical concept in astrophysics that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe and is distinct from dark matter, which is another mysterious substance thought to make up about 25% of the universe's energy.

2. What are some alternative hypotheses for dark energy?

Some alternative hypotheses for dark energy include the possibility that it is an unknown type of energy field, a modification of general relativity, or a manifestation of the effects of extra dimensions in the universe.

3. How do scientists study and test these alternative hypotheses?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study and test alternative hypotheses for dark energy, including observations of the expansion of the universe, measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and simulations of the behavior of different types of dark energy in the universe.

4. What is the current leading theory for dark energy?

The current leading theory for dark energy is the cosmological constant, which was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity. This theory suggests that dark energy is a constant, evenly distributed energy field that permeates the entire universe and causes the expansion to accelerate.

5. What are some potential implications of alternative hypotheses for dark energy?

If alternative hypotheses for dark energy are proven to be accurate, it could change our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the structure of the universe. It could also have implications for our understanding of the fate of the universe and the role of dark energy in shaping its evolution.