Alternative differential equations textbook

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for an introductory textbook on differential equations that covers similar material to Edwards and Penney's textbook but is less verbose. They provide a list of potential textbooks, including Fundamentals of Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems by Nagle, Saff, and Snider, Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems by Boyce and DiPrima, and Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes by Simmons and Krantz. They also mention using a Dover book by Tenenbaum and being recommended a text by Arnol'd.
Dmobb Jr.
I am taking my first differential equations course. I am using the textbook by Edwards and Penney. My problem with this book is that it holds your hand a little bit too much. I don't like that I have to read huge amounts of explanation just to get a small amount of information. Does anyone know of a text that cover most of what Edwards and Penny covers but is written in a more concise way?

Physics news on Phys.org
A modern introductory book to differential equations is Fundamentals of Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems (6th Edition, 2011) [Hardcover]
R. Kent Nagle, Edward B. Saff, Arthur David Snider
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321747747/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have the 4th edition from 2004.

Perhaps more commonly used books are those of Boyce and DiPrima (back when I was at university ~30+ years ago). I have the 3rd Ed of Boyce and DiPrima from 1977.

Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems [Hardcover]
William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470458313/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Elementary Differential Equations [Hardcover]
William E. Boyce, Richard C. DiPrima
https://www.amazon.com/dp/047003940X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Perhaps my favorite is one by George F. Simmons, Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes, McGraw-Hill. My copy is from 1972, but there are more recent editions by the same author.

Differential Equations: Theory, Technique, and Practice (Walter Rudin Student Series in Advanced Mathematics) [Hardcover], 2006
George Simmons, Steven Krantz
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072863153/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
dustbin said:
I'm in the same boat as you... I am using this on the side:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486649407/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Plus, it's a Dover! I was also recommended a text by Arnol'd.

Tenenbaum is excellent for the material usually covered (and more!) in an introductory course on ODE's. As far as more theoretically oriented textbooks go, Arnold is certainly one of the best introductions (then move on to Smale).

I like
Elementary Differential Equations by Earl D. Rainville
Later edition might be watered down.
Ordinary Differential Equations by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard
nice introduction
Ordinary Differential Equations by Edward L. Ince
a treasure
Ordinary Differential Equations in the Complex Domain by Einar Hille
complex
Ordinary Differential Equations by V.I. Arnold
Worthwhile despite Arnold's eccentricities

Related to Alternative differential equations textbook

1. What is an alternative differential equations textbook?

An alternative differential equations textbook is a textbook that presents the material in a different way than traditional textbooks. It may use different examples, approaches, or explanations to help students better understand the concepts.

2. How is an alternative differential equations textbook different from a traditional textbook?

As mentioned, an alternative textbook may use different examples, approaches, or explanations to present the material. It may also incorporate real-world applications or interactive activities to engage students in the learning process.

3. Who would benefit from using an alternative differential equations textbook?

Students who struggle with traditional textbooks or who prefer a more hands-on approach to learning would benefit from using an alternative differential equations textbook. It can also be helpful for students who want a new perspective on the material.

4. Are alternative textbooks as credible as traditional textbooks?

Yes, alternative textbooks are typically written by experienced and knowledgeable authors and go through the same rigorous editing and reviewing processes as traditional textbooks. They may also include references to reputable sources to support the material.

5. How can I find an alternative differential equations textbook?

You can search for alternative textbooks online or ask your instructor for recommendations. You can also look for reviews or ratings from other students to help you choose the best option for your learning style.