Alternating Series Test No Divergence?

In summary, the alternating series test is a test for convergence and it can sometimes show that a series is divergent, but it does not specifically prove divergence. If the test fails to show convergence, it does not necessarily imply divergence.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Hey! So I just have a quick question. In my notes I wrote down that the alternating series test only proves absolute or conditional convergence, but can not prove divergence. Is this true or did I misunderstand my professor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

Hey! So I just have a quick question. In my notes I wrote down that the alternating series test only proves absolute or conditional convergence, but can not prove divergence. Is this true or did I misunderstand my professor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The alternating series test says nothing about absolute convergence; both ##\sum\frac{(-1)^n}{n}## and ##\sum\frac{(-1)^n}{n^2}## converge by the alternating series test. The latter is absolutely convergent while the former is not.

Given an alternating series, i.e. a series of the form ##\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty(-1)^na_n## with ##a_n>0##, the alternating series test has you check two things; (1) that ##\{a_n\}## is a (eventually) decreasing sequence and (2) that ##\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}a_n=0##. If either or both of these checks fails, then the alternating series test is technically inconclusive. There are some alternating series which fail the alternating series test and are convergent and some which fail and are divergent.

Put another way, the alternating series test says something along the lines of, "If we have an alternating series and (1) and (2) are true, then the series converges". It makes no claim if one or both of (1) and (2) are false, and it never concludes that a series is divergent.

But ...

In the event that a series fails part (2) of the test, then we can say that ##\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}a_n\neq 0##. It's not hard to see that this implies that ##\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}(-1)^na_n\neq 0##, and so the series is divergent by the ##n##th-term test/test for divergence (or whatever name your text/lecturer gives to that test). So you can learn enough about a series in the process of conducting the alternating series test to conclude, as a result of a different test, that the series is divergent.

Last edited:
The alternating series test is a test for convergence. But if the test fails to show convergence, that doesn't imply divergence. It might be convergent anyway and the alternating series test just isn't adequate to show it. All you can say is that the alternating series test failed to show convergence.

Related to Alternating Series Test No Divergence?

What is the Alternating Series Test No Divergence?

The Alternating Series Test No Divergence is a mathematical theorem used to determine whether an alternating series, which is a series whose terms alternate in sign, converges or diverges.

What is the formula for the Alternating Series Test No Divergence?

The formula for the Alternating Series Test No Divergence is as follows:
If the sequence of terms of an alternating series, {an}, satisfies the conditions
1. |an| ≥ |an+1| for all n ≥ N, where N is some fixed integer
2. lim an = 0
then the series ∑ (-1)nan converges.

What is the significance of the Alternating Series Test No Divergence?

The Alternating Series Test No Divergence is significant because it provides a way to determine whether a series converges or diverges, specifically for alternating series. This is important in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in the analysis of oscillating phenomena.

What are the conditions for the Alternating Series Test No Divergence to be applicable?

The two conditions for the Alternating Series Test No Divergence to be applicable are:
1. The terms of the series must be alternating in sign.
2. The sequence of terms must satisfy the conditions stated in the formula, namely, |an| ≥ |an+1| and lim an = 0.

How is the Alternating Series Test No Divergence related to the Alternating Series Test for Convergence?

The Alternating Series Test No Divergence is a special case of the Alternating Series Test for Convergence, where the series is proven to converge without the need to determine a specific limit. In other words, the Alternating Series Test No Divergence is a simpler and more straightforward version of the Alternating Series Test for Convergence.