Alternate Solution to Conservation of Momentum Problem

In summary, the problem involved a collision between a 2000 kg truck, a 1000 kg compact car, and a 1500 kg midsize car. The solution was attempted using energy instead of conservation of momentum, but this did not yield the expected results. The vehicles became entangled and kinetic energy was not conserved, highlighting the importance of considering the specific conditions of a problem.
aboakye
I solved the following problem using Energy instead of conservation of momentum. Unfortunately, my answer is different from the expected solution. I'm not sure why my method doesn't work.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Problem:
A 2000 kg truck is traveling east through an intersection at 2 m/s when it is hit simultaneously from the side and the rear. One car is a 1000 kg compact traveling north at 5 m/s. The other car is a 1500 kg midsize traveling east at 10 m/s. The three vehicles become entangled and slide at one body. What are their speeds and direction just after the collision?

My Attempt:
Energy east/x: (1/2)*1500*100 + (1/2)*2000*4 = 79 kJ
Energy north/y: (1/2)*1000*25 = 12.5 kJ

Final speed: [itex]\sqrt{2.2^{2} + 5.92^{2} }[/itex] = 6.32 m/s
@Angle: tan^{-1}(2.2/5.92) = 20.4°

Solution:
mvxfinal = 1500*100 + 2000*4 solve for v in x-dir
mvyfinal = 1000*5 solve for v in y-dir

Physics news on Phys.org
aboakye said:
I solved the following problem using Energy instead of conservation of momentum. Unfortunately, my answer is different from the expected solution. I'm not sure why my method doesn't work.
The vehicles become entangled. Kinetic energy is not conserved! (But momentum is.)

welcome to pf!

hi aboakye! welcome to pf! :smile:

energy is never conserved in a collision unless the question says it is! :wink:

(but momentum is always conserved in a collision, in any direction in which there is no external impulse)

Thanks Doc Al & tiny-tim!

That clarifies it

I appreciate your alternative approach to solving this problem using energy instead of conservation of momentum. However, I believe the discrepancy in your answer may be due to the fact that energy is not always conserved in collisions. In this case, the collision between the three vehicles is inelastic, meaning that some of the initial kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This means that the final energy of the system may not be equal to the initial energy, leading to different results.

In order to accurately solve this problem, it is important to use conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This takes into account the masses and velocities of all three vehicles and can provide a more precise solution.

Furthermore, it may be helpful to review the equations used in your attempt and ensure that all units are consistent. It is also important to consider the direction of the forces and their effects on the final velocities of the vehicles.

I hope this provides some insights into why your method did not work and encourages you to continue exploring alternative approaches in problem-solving. As scientists, it is important to continuously question and improve our methods in order to deepen our understanding and advance our knowledge.

Related to Alternate Solution to Conservation of Momentum Problem

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant in the absence of external forces. In simpler terms, it means that the total amount of movement in a system will remain the same unless acted upon by an outside force.

2. What is the alternate solution to the conservation of momentum problem?

The alternate solution to the conservation of momentum problem is the concept of impulse. Instead of looking at the total momentum of a system, impulse focuses on the change in momentum over a specific period of time. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the forces involved in a system and can provide a more accurate understanding of the movement of objects.

3. How does impulse relate to conservation of momentum?

In order to conserve momentum, the impulse acting on a system must be equal to the change in momentum. This means that the alternate solution of using impulse is still consistent with the principle of conservation of momentum. In fact, impulse is often used in more complex systems where conservation of momentum alone may not be enough to fully explain the motion of objects.

4. Can the alternate solution to conservation of momentum be applied to all systems?

Yes, the concept of impulse can be applied to all systems as long as the external forces acting on the system are known. This includes systems with multiple objects and systems where the external forces are not constant over time. However, it is important to note that impulse and conservation of momentum are only applicable for closed systems, meaning there is no net transfer of momentum from outside the system.

5. What are some real-life examples where the alternate solution to conservation of momentum is useful?

The concept of impulse is used in many real-life situations, such as analyzing car crashes, rocket propulsion, and the recoil of a gun. In these scenarios, the forces acting on the system are not constant, and using impulse allows for a more accurate understanding of the motion and forces involved. Additionally, impulse is also used in sports, such as baseball and golf, to analyze the momentum transfer between a bat or club and a ball.