Alpha, beta particle radius of curviture

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of a particle using the equations mv^2/r = qvB and mv = qrB, where m is the mass of the particle, v is the velocity, q is the charge, and B is the magnetic field. The conversation also mentions using the energy of the particle and the mass of the electron and proton to find the mass of the particle. The final solution is found by using the charge of the alpha particle, which is twice the charge of an electron.
pat666

Homework Statement

see attachment

Homework Equations

r=RoA1/3
Ro=1.2*10-15

The Attempt at a Solution

35 kiloelectron volts = 5.60761762 × 10-15 joules

I could calculate the velocity if I knew mass but that wouldn't help with the radius?
I think that I need to find A from the energy but how do I do that?

Attachments

• rcurv.jpg
    rcurv.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
The relevant equations are

mv^2/r = qvB. Or

mv = qrB.

sqrt(2mE) = qrB. where E is the energy of the particle , m is the mass of the particle.

Mass of β particle is the mass of the electron and mass of the α particle is equal to 4 times the mass of the proton.

Hey,
thanks that worked for the beta particle but not the alpha particle.
sqrt(2*4*1.6726E-27*5.61E-15)=1.602E-19*r*1.1 then I solved that and got 0.05m and that's wrong!

theres a similar Question in the textbook but the energy is 40keV and B=1.5T the answer in the textbook for the alpha particle is 19.3mm and when I try it I get 0.0525m?

thanks for helping!

pat666 said:
Hey,
thanks that worked for the beta particle but not the alpha particle.
sqrt(2*4*1.6726E-27*5.61E-15)=1.602E-19*r*1.1 then I solved that and got 0.05m and that's wrong!

theres a similar Question in the textbook but the energy is 40keV and B=1.5T the answer in the textbook for the alpha particle is 19.3mm and when I try it I get 0.0525m?

thanks for helping!

For alpha particle q = 2*e = 2*1.6*10^-19 C.

Thanks heaps - problem solved!

Related to Alpha, beta particle radius of curviture

1. What is the difference between alpha and beta particles?

Alpha particles are positively charged particles consisting of two protons and two neutrons, while beta particles are either electrons or positrons. Alpha particles have a larger mass and are more ionizing compared to beta particles.

2. How are alpha and beta particles produced?

Alpha particles are produced through the process of alpha decay, where an unstable nucleus releases an alpha particle to become more stable. Beta particles are produced through beta decay, where a neutron in an unstable nucleus is converted into a proton and a beta particle is emitted.

3. What is the radius of curvature for alpha and beta particles?

The radius of curvature for alpha particles is smaller compared to that of beta particles. This is due to the larger mass and stronger charge of alpha particles, causing them to curve more in the presence of an electric or magnetic field.

4. How does the radius of curvature affect the penetration power of alpha and beta particles?

The smaller radius of curvature for alpha particles allows them to penetrate materials less compared to beta particles. This is because they are more easily deflected by the atoms in the material, while beta particles with their larger radius of curvature can travel further through the material before being deflected.

5. What are some practical applications of studying the radius of curvature of alpha and beta particles?

The study of the radius of curvature of alpha and beta particles is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of these particles in various contexts, such as in nuclear reactions and medical treatments using radiation. It also has implications in the development of detection methods for these particles, such as in Geiger counters and particle detectors.