Allyl Bromide + HBr - Compounds formed during reaction.

In summary, the electrophile will shift the pi-bond in allyl bromide, leading to the formation of BrCH_2-CH=CH_2, BrCH_2-CH=CH_3, and BrCH_2-CH=C-H. There can also be other minor products, but the main product is the anti-Markovnikov product.
AGNuke
Gold Member
Allyl Bromide, during the addition of HBr gives

[tex]CH_3-CHBr-CH_2Br[/tex]
[tex]CH_2Br-CH_2-CH_2Br[/tex]
[tex]CH_3-CH_2-CHBr_2[/tex]
[tex]CH_3-CBr_2-CH_3[/tex]

My take
During the addition of HBr, electrophile will attack first, considering the shift of pi bond in allyl bromide as follows:

[tex]BrCH_2-CH=CH_2 \longrightarrow BrCH_2-\overset{+}{C}H-\overset{-}{C}H_2[/tex]

H+ will attack on negative C. Now, to add Br- on positive one, I get the first option.

But the question is asking all possible products, it seems (possible intermediates/minor products). So, the possibilities of forming the other products is not theoretical impossible, I suppose.

All I need is the mechanism, which can lead to the formation of other products. I am currently working on some mechanisms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This question is based on the electrophilic addition to alkenes.

AGNuke said:
[tex]BrCH_2-CH=CH_2 \longrightarrow BrCH_2-\overset{+}{C}H-\overset{-}{C}H_2[/tex]

The reaction doesn't really proceed like this. Check the following link for the mechanism: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/eladd/symhbr.html#top
It's obvious that the chief product is formed through Markovnikov addition but there is still a low yield of the Anti-Markovnikov product.

The mechanism mentioned there omitted the intermediate step I mentioned.

[tex]BrCH_2-CH=CH_2 \longrightarrow BrCH_2-\overset{+}{C}H-\overset{-}{C}H_2\xrightarrow[]{+H^+}BrCH_2-\overset{+}CH-CH_3[/tex]

And I know there can be other potential minor products, that's why I asked the question.

AGNuke said:
The mechanism mentioned there omitted the intermediate step I mentioned.

[tex]BrCH_2-CH=CH_2 \longrightarrow BrCH_2-\overset{+}{C}H-\overset{-}{C}H_2\xrightarrow[]{+H^+}BrCH_2-\overset{+}CH-CH_3[/tex]

And I know there can be other potential minor products, that's why I asked the question.

There's nothing omitted, the intermediate you mention doesn't form (at least in electrophilic addition). You can't break the pi-bond and then add H+. Refer a good book.

Who's breaking pi bond? I am only shifting it. Check the arrows in the link.

Moreover, here's an excerpt from Morrison and Boyd

book said:
To form the bond with hydrogen, carbon uses the [itex]\pi[/itex] electrons formerly shared by other C atom. This leaves the other C atom with only sextet of electrons...

There's only one way to show the intermediate process, to shift the pi electrons.

Last edited:
Note that you can't go about shifting pi electron clouds the way you did, and leave separated charges uncompensated for, and you definitely can't have something like that as the first step of a reaction mechanism.

I suggest you consider conjugation in allyl bromide.
Bromide has a lone pair of electrons it can donate, and the pi electron cloud can shift. Try using both of these facts to get a structure that would be in resonance with the structure of allyl bromide given.

I only showed the cloud shift under the influence of the electrophile, I just show them, it makes it easier to make major product.

Related to Allyl Bromide + HBr - Compounds formed during reaction.

1. What is allyl bromide?

Allyl bromide is a chemical compound with the formula C3H5Br. It is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor and is commonly used as an intermediate in organic synthesis.

2. What is HBr?

HBr, or hydrogen bromide, is a colorless gas that is highly soluble in water. It is a strong acid and is commonly used in organic reactions as a source of bromide ions.

3. What compounds are formed when allyl bromide reacts with HBr?

The reaction between allyl bromide and HBr results in the formation of two compounds: 3-bromopropene and 1-bromopropane. These compounds are formed through the addition of HBr to the double bond of allyl bromide.

4. What are the properties of the compounds formed during the reaction?

Both 3-bromopropene and 1-bromopropane are colorless liquids with a pungent odor. They have different boiling points and solubility in water, and are commonly used as intermediates in organic synthesis.

5. What are the uses of 3-bromopropene and 1-bromopropane?

3-bromopropene and 1-bromopropane are commonly used as intermediates in the production of various chemicals, such as pharmaceuticals, pesticides, and plastics. They are also used in organic reactions to introduce bromine into molecules.