Alll Positive Integers proof by contraposition

In summary: Similarly, for the second inequality, $s\sqrt{n}> n$ can be rewritten as: $\sqrt{sn}>n$. This is possible because $s\geq\sqrt{s}$, so $s\sqrt{n}\geq\sqrt{s}\sqrt{n}=\sqrt{sn}$. This proves the statement that for all positive integers $n$, $r$, and $s$, if $rs \le n$, then $r \le\sqrt{n}$ or $s \le \sqrt{n}$.
tmt1
For all positive integers $n$, $r$, and $s$, if $rs \le n$ then $r \le\sqrt{n}$ or $s \le \sqrt{n}$

Proof:

Suppose $r$ , $s$ and $n$, are integers and $r > \sqrt{n}$ and $ s > \sqrt{e}$.

Multiply both sides of the first inequality by $s$.

I get $sr > s\sqrt{n} $, but the book gives $rs > \sqrt{ns}$. How is this possible.

Also, if I multiply the second inequality by $\sqrt{n}$, I get $s \sqrt{n}> n$, but the book gives $\sqrt{ns} > n$ . What am I doing wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
For all positive integers $n$, $r$, and $s$, if $rs \le n$ then $r \le\sqrt{n}$ or $s \le \sqrt{n}$

Proof:

Suppose $r$ , $s$ and $n$, are integers and $r > \sqrt{n}$ and $ s > \sqrt{e}$.

Multiply both sides of the first inequality by $s$.

I get $sr > s\sqrt{n} $, but the book gives $rs > \sqrt{ns}$. How is this possible.

Also, if I multiply the second inequality by $\sqrt{n}$, I get $s \sqrt{n}> n$, but the book gives $\sqrt{ns} > n$ . What am I doing wrong?

Hi tmt,

Note that for any positive number, $s\geq\sqrt{s}$. Therefore, $sr > s\sqrt{n}\geq\sqrt{s}\sqrt{n}=\sqrt{sn}$.

Related to Alll Positive Integers proof by contraposition

1. What is the proof by contraposition method?

The proof by contraposition method is a technique used in mathematical proofs to show that a statement is true by proving its contrapositive, which is the negation of the original statement. This method is also known as proof by contradiction or indirect proof.

2. How does the proof by contraposition method work?

The proof by contraposition method works by assuming the negation of the statement to be proven and then using logical reasoning and known facts to arrive at a contradiction. This contradiction then proves the original statement to be true.

3. Can the proof by contraposition method be used for all statements?

No, the proof by contraposition method can only be used for statements that are in the form of "if p, then q". This method cannot be used for statements that do not follow this structure.

4. What are the advantages of using the proof by contraposition method?

One advantage of using the proof by contraposition method is that it allows us to prove a statement without having to directly prove the original statement. This can be helpful when the original statement is difficult to prove directly.

5. Are there any limitations to the proof by contraposition method?

Yes, the proof by contraposition method can only be used to prove the truth of a statement, it cannot be used to prove the falsity of a statement. Also, this method may not work for all statements and may require a different approach for certain types of statements.