Aligning a Michelson interferometer

In summary, if you only have a CW HeNe laser, you can align the two beams by moving the movable mirror until they are as close to parallel as possible and looking for the point at which the fringes move in the opposite direction.
johng23
Are there any tricks for getting the two arms of a Michelson interferometer exactly equal, if all I have is a CW HeNe laser to align? The real experiment will be using the interferometer on short pulses, so I will only see interference when the path lengths are equal to within 30 microns or so. I can't think of any way, since the coherence length is probably 10's of centimeters.

I saw some website that was saying that as you scan the delay of one arm, the fringes will move in one direction, and when you pass the equal length point, they will move in the opposite direction. But that makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but if I visualize scanning two beams past each other, the fringes continually move in one direction, and the absolute difference in phase is not discernable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a question to understand your problem better: You have already aligned the two beams such that they are perfectly parallel and are now looking for the exact position of zero relative delay, right?

If so, how exactly are you moving your movable mirror? Coarse movable delay line, piezo-driven fine delay or both? And what exactly is the highest possible distance you can move it?

Cthugha said:
Just a question to understand your problem better: You have already aligned the two beams such that they are perfectly parallel and are now looking for the exact position of zero relative delay, right?

If so, how exactly are you moving your movable mirror? Coarse movable delay line, piezo-driven fine delay or both? And what exactly is the highest possible distance you can move it?

The two beams probably are as close to parallel as I can make them. My movable mirror is on a coarse translation stage, with a total travel of 50 mm. The smallest step size is 1 um, and I'm not even sure how repeatable that is.

johng23 said:
Are there any tricks for getting the two arms of a Michelson interferometer exactly equal, if all I have is a CW HeNe laser to align? The real experiment will be using the interferometer on short pulses, so I will only see interference when the path lengths are equal to within 30 microns or so. I can't think of any way, since the coherence length is probably 10's of centimeters.

Tricky problem- the best I could think of, if you have the equipment, is to use filtered broadband light. For example, I have some filters that pass about 20nm wide spectra centered on green, blue, red, etc. The coherence length approaches 30 microns in some cases (500 nm +/- 10 nm passband)

A step size of 1 micron might make measurements complicated. Unless of course you are not interested in visible light, but far infrared or the terahertz range. In that case it would not pose a problem.

Regarding the problem itself, Andy Resnick is right. Filtering broadband white light or something similar is a good idea. As an alternative, there are some common LEDs with coherence lengths in the micron range. Those should also not be that expensive.

Ok thanks everyone. I ran out of time, I guess I'll just try to measure it with a tape measure and look for my signal the hard way. :rolleyes:

Related to Aligning a Michelson interferometer

1. How does a Michelson interferometer work?

A Michelson interferometer is a device used to measure the wavelength of light. It works by splitting a beam of light into two paths using a partially reflective mirror. The two paths recombine at a second mirror, creating a pattern of interference fringes which can be measured to determine the wavelength of the light.

2. Why is it important to align a Michelson interferometer?

Proper alignment of a Michelson interferometer is crucial for accurate measurements. Misalignment can lead to distorted interference patterns and incorrect wavelength calculations. Aligning the interferometer ensures that the two beams of light are traveling parallel to each other and creates a clear interference pattern for precise measurements.

3. What are the steps involved in aligning a Michelson interferometer?

The steps for aligning a Michelson interferometer include adjusting the position of the mirrors, making sure the beams are parallel, and optimizing the intensity of the interference pattern. This involves using adjustment screws, moving the mirrors, and using a detector to measure the interference pattern.

4. What are some common challenges when aligning a Michelson interferometer?

One common challenge when aligning a Michelson interferometer is maintaining the stability of the system. Any vibrations or movements can affect the alignment and lead to inaccurate measurements. Another challenge is finding the optimal position for the mirrors to create a clear interference pattern, as this can vary depending on the specific setup and conditions.

5. How can I ensure accurate alignment of a Michelson interferometer?

To ensure accurate alignment, it is important to carefully follow the alignment procedure and take your time to make precise adjustments. Using a stable platform and minimizing any external disturbances can also help to maintain alignment. Regularly checking and adjusting the alignment can also help to ensure accuracy over time.