Algebra Question Solved | Quick and Easy Solution

• Thread starter tycoga8118
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, to draw an arch with a width of 8 ft and a height of 2 ft, Matt will use a stretched string with chalk attached at an end as a compass. He will need to locate the center of the circle using a coordinate system and determine the radius to draw the arch. By using the three known points (-4, 0), (0, 2), and (4, 0), he can set up equations to solve for the center and radius of the circle.
tycoga8118
Sorry, I posted too soon. I was able to figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tycoga8118 said:

Homework Statement

Matt is remodeling the front entrance to his home and needs to cut an arch for the top of an entranceway. The arch must be 8 ft wide and 2 ft high. To draw the arch, he will use a stretched string with chalk attached at an end as a compass.
a) using a coordinate system, locate the center of the circle.
b) What radius should Matt use to draw the arch?

Homework Equations

d=sqrt of ((xsub2-xub1)^2 + (ysub2-ysub1)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the rest of the chapter and am just stuck on this one. 2 feet high would be point (0,2). 8ft wide would be coordinates (-4,0) and (0,-4).
The point on the right would be at (4, 0), not (0, -4).
tycoga8118 said:
So, I don't know what to do to figure out the center. At first, I assumed 8ft wide would mean a radius of 5. But, that's not right. I guess that's because the width of the arch isn't the same thing as two points being on opposite sides of the circle? So I can't just find their midpoint and call that the center because that isn't the actual center of the circle.

I thought about trying to make it a triangle and use Pythagorean's Theorem somehow. but, I'm a little lost at what I'd actually be trying to solve and how that would give me the center of the circle.
You have three points on your circle; namely (-4, 0), (0, 2), and (4, 0). The equation of the circle would be ##(x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = R^2##. If you substitute the three known points into this equation, you should be able to get three more equations in the parameters a, b, and R. The center of the circle will be at (a, b) and its radius will be R.

Related to Algebra Question Solved | Quick and Easy Solution

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and study relationships between variables.

2. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it provides a foundation for understanding and solving more complex mathematical problems, as well as real world situations. It is also a fundamental skill for many careers in fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

3. How do you solve an algebraic equation?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until you are left with the variable alone on one side and the numerical value on the other.

4. What are some common algebraic operations?

Some common algebraic operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. These operations can be used to manipulate equations and solve for unknown values.

5. Is there a quick and easy solution for solving algebraic equations?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies that can make solving algebraic equations quicker and easier. These include factoring, using the distributive property, and solving for one variable at a time. It is important to practice these methods and find which ones work best for you.