Algebra, percentages bank interest problem (simple)

In summary, the conversation discussed two savings plans offered by a bank, Plan A and Plan B. Plan A offers an annual interest of 6%, while Plan B offers an interest of 12% once every 2 years. The question was posed about which plan would be preferable for investing money for a 4-year period. The conversation also touched on the concept of compound interest and the formula for calculating it. In the end, it was determined that using the compound interest formula would be the most efficient way to find the solution.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Well, it seems simple, anyway, but I'm not sure why my methodology would be wrong.

Homework Statement

In a certain bank they offer 2 saving accounts.

Plan A gives an annual interest of 6%
Plan B gives an interest of 12% once every 2 year.

What's the preferable plan if you want to invest money for 4 years? Explain.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached. X is defined as "original amount".

Attachments

• percentagesalgebra.jpg
    percentagesalgebra.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how banks work, but I think that in this case, after a year you'll get 6% of X and then the next years you'll get 6% of (6% of X + X). I think this is called compound interest, but I'm not sure this is the case with your problem.

I'm not sure how banks work, but I think that in this case, after a year you'll get 6% of X and then the next years you'll get 6% of (6% of X + X). I think this is called compound interest, but I'm not sure this is the case with your problem.

Well, it must be the case since mine is not the right answer. I'll try it your way. Thanks :)

I think you have to use the compound interest formula
[tex]A(t) = A_0 \left(1 + \frac{r}{n} \right)^{nt}[/tex]
where
A0 = the principal
t = time in years
n = number of compounding periods per year (monthly: n = 12; quarterly: n = 4...)
r = interest rate expressed as a decimal

Have you seen this equation before?

I just used the long route to get to the solution. (attached)

Good thing they didn't ask for the next 2000 years or I'll have been writing it till next week...

But yea, it's best I use this formula next time. I think I've seen it before, but I haven't applied it. I really should, to save time. Thanks.

Attachments

• longway.jpg
    longway.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:

Related to Algebra, percentages bank interest problem (simple)

1. What is algebra and how is it used in banking?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. In banking, algebra is used to calculate and understand financial concepts such as interest rates, loan payments, and profit margins.

2. How are percentages used in banking?

Percentages are used in banking to represent the proportion of a quantity out of 100. This is often used to calculate interest rates, fees, and returns on investments. For example, a 5% interest rate means that for every $100, the bank will pay $5 in interest.

3. What is a bank interest problem?

A bank interest problem is a type of financial problem that involves calculating the amount of interest earned or paid on a loan or investment over a certain period of time. These problems often involve using percentages and formulas to find the solution.

4. How do you solve a simple bank interest problem using algebra?

To solve a simple bank interest problem using algebra, you first need to identify the known values, such as the principal amount, interest rate, and time period. Then, use the formula I = PRT (interest = principal x rate x time) to calculate the interest earned or paid. Finally, add or subtract the interest amount from the principal to find the final balance.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving bank interest problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving bank interest problems include using the wrong formula, not converting percentages to decimals, and not paying attention to units (such as years vs. months). It's important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula for the given problem.