Algebra and Calculus in three dimensions

In summary, the author is struggling with setting up integrals in three dimensions for problems involving distances between points on a sphere. They recommend a book called "Div, Grad, Curl and all that" by Schey. The book has chapters on single-variable calculus, real and complex analysis, abstract algebra, and linear algebra, which would be helpful for someone who is already familiar with these concepts.
Avatrin
Hi

I have realized that I am horrible at setting up integrals in three dimensions when working with Coulomb's law (F = k q*∫r-2dq ). I don't have the vaguest idea how I can solve this using it and the superposition principle:
An electric charge +Q is distributed with a p(r) which does not depend on θ or ϕ throughout the volume of a sphere of radius R; i.e., it is spherically symmetric. Find the force it produces on an electron (charge -e) located at an outside point r meters from the center of the sphere. Let i point from the origin, at the center of the sphere, to the electron.

I am not asking for a solution to this exercise. I want a good books that can teach me algebra and geometry in three dimensions (a lot of books seem to teach trigonometry in two dimensions and just give you the three dimensional equations without explaining them). If the book also has some multivariable and vector calculus, that will be even better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Gauss' Theorem is the traditional approach ... unless you are very traditional, then you can use Newton's "Shell Theorem" from gravitational theory.

Like I wrote in my earlier post; I am not looking for a solution to that particular exercise. I just need to become better with geometry and multivariable calculus. I do not have much problem with problems in two dimensions, but setting up integrals in three dimensions dimensions is something I am struggling too much with.

The problem you wrote is essentially one-dimensional. Have you taken a course on single-variable calculus? Are you familiar with different coordinate systems? What E&M textbook are you using?

It's hard to recommend something if we do not know what level you are at.

Mmm_Pasta said:
The problem you wrote is essentially one-dimensional. Have you taken a course on single-variable calculus? Are you familiar with different coordinate systems? What E&M textbook are you using?

It's hard to recommend something if we do not know what level you are at.

Yes, I have taken both single and multivariable calculus (there was too little vector calculus in that course). I have also taken real and complex analysis, abstract algebra and linear algebra.

The thing I am struggling most with happens to be what I need most in physics (I regret I didn't go for programming instead of physics).

My example was obviously a bad one considering it can be solved using Gauss's theorem, but the point was that I struggle with setting up integrals for problems in three dimensions (distances between a point and any point on a sphere and the like). I have no problems solving them when I have set them up.

Related to Algebra and Calculus in three dimensions

1. What is the difference between algebra and calculus in three dimensions?

Algebra in three dimensions deals with solving equations and manipulating variables in three-dimensional space. Calculus in three dimensions involves finding rates of change and areas/volumes of three-dimensional objects using derivatives and integrals.

2. How is three-dimensional graphing used in algebra and calculus?

In algebra, three-dimensional graphing is used to represent equations and relationships between variables in three-dimensional space. In calculus, it is used to visualize functions and their derivatives or integrals in three-dimensional space.

3. What are some real-life applications of algebra and calculus in three dimensions?

Algebra in three dimensions is used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to solve problems involving three-dimensional objects. Calculus in three dimensions is used in fields such as economics, biology, and chemistry to model and analyze three-dimensional systems.

4. Can you give an example of a three-dimensional algebraic equation?

One example of a three-dimensional algebraic equation is the equation of a sphere: x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

5. What are some common techniques used in calculus to solve problems in three dimensions?

Some common techniques used in calculus to solve problems in three dimensions include finding partial derivatives, using multiple integrals, and applying the chain rule and product rule to functions with multiple variables.