Albedo and surface temperature of the Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of an increase in Earth's average cloud cover on the albedo temperature. One participant suggests that a higher albedo would result in cooling due to increased light reflection, but equations seem to contradict this idea. Another participant clarifies the correct temperature conversions.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

If the Earth's average cloud cover increased, what effect would it have on the albedo temperature?

If the Earths albedo increased to 0.32, what would be the average temperature?

Ok I thought that if the albedo was higher, it would reflect more light, thus coolign would happen. But the formulas and equations are contradicting this, does anyone know why.

BTW we r using T=((S/4*sigma)(1-alpha))^1/4... for 0.3 albedo i got 15.45 deg C, which is good then 0.32 I got 17.3 deg C.

Im just really confused with this. Please can someone help

Physics news on Phys.org
oh sorry i got the temperature conversions wrong.. K-273 not 273-K

Related to Albedo and surface temperature of the Earth

What is albedo?

Albedo refers to the percentage of sunlight that is reflected off the surface of the Earth. It is affected by the type of surface, such as ice, water, or land, as well as the color and texture of the surface.

How does albedo affect the Earth's surface temperature?

The higher the albedo, the more sunlight is reflected back into space, resulting in cooler surface temperatures. On the other hand, a lower albedo means more sunlight is absorbed, leading to higher surface temperatures.

What is the average albedo of the Earth?

The average albedo of the Earth is approximately 30%. This means that about 30% of the sunlight that hits the Earth's surface is reflected back into space.

What factors can affect the albedo of the Earth?

The albedo of the Earth can be affected by a variety of factors, including changes in land use, such as deforestation, changes in cloud cover, and the presence of pollutants in the atmosphere.

How does the albedo of the Earth impact climate change?

The albedo of the Earth plays a significant role in climate change. As the Earth's temperature rises due to increased levels of greenhouse gases, ice and snow melt, leading to a lower albedo. This results in more sunlight being absorbed, further contributing to global warming.