(Airfoil) Why do boats have a pointy bow?

• I
  • Thread starter petterg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airfoil
  • Featured
In summary, boat hulls have a design goal of minimizing water resistance while also providing necessary load carrying capability. To achieve this, the hull is given a shape similar to a vertical symmetrical airfoil. However, the leading edge of the boat's bow is sharp above the surface to split the water and create a bow wake, while being round below the surface to minimize drag. This is similar to the design of supersonic jets, which also have sharp leading edges. Additionally, the pointed bow also helps increase directional stability. In contrast, symmetrical airfoils are usually round in shape to allow for equal flow on both sides for lift, but this is not necessary for boat hulls where lift is not needed
Paulus Suluap said:
the hull stem
I never heard that phrase. What does it mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forward vertical edge of a hull.

Likes anorlunda
Paulus Suluap said:
Forward vertical edge of a hull.
Thanks. I forgot the phrase, "from stem to stern."

anorlunda said:
My sailboat had a full keel and a double-ended hull (pointed at both ends). Both features aid lateral stability. Joshua Slocum bragged that he sailed his boat, Spray (double-ended, full keel), from Perth Australia to the desired port in Africa without ever touching the steering wheel. I think he exaggerated, but nevertheless his feat was remarkable.
Slocum's "Spray" had the bulbous head of a Cod and the thin tail of a Mackerel. The clipper-like bow seen in pictures is created by a decorative flat sheet of wood called a cut-water, located beneath the bowsprit and above the water line.

Likes Paulus Suluap
tech99 said:
Slocum's "Spray" had the bulbous head of a Cod and the thin tail of a Mackerel. The clipper-like bow seen in pictures is created by a decorative flat sheet of wood called a cut-water, located beneath the bowsprit and above the water line.
A cod's head maybe, but far from the "mackerel" lines of a canoe or counter stern, Spray had a transom.

1663013244896.png

1663013103775.png

tech99 said:
That's interesting. Do you have a link to a source?

I found http://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/js/a22.htm which has the drawing of Spray below. I find that hard to match with "the bulbous head of a Cod and the thin tail of a Mackerel" It looks like a pretty standard full keel.

1663013381370.png

Edit: I see @pbuk beat me to it.