Air-tight, High Specific-Strength Textiles

• Thread starter Daniel Sellers
  • Start date
In summary, an undergraduate student is conducting a research project on aeronautics and needs a fabric with a strength-to-weight ratio of over 130 kNm/kg that can also be made air-tight. After researching, they have found that Kevlar, Zylon, and Spectra fibers meet the requirements. They are seeking more information on how Zylon and Spectra can be made airtight and what materials are needed for this process. They also inquire about the materials used in car airbags and space suits, and it is mentioned that high-tech sails use a laminate of woven and sheet materials. The suggested Hyperlast site provides a good overview of similar materials. To achieve an airtight fabric, a combination of a
Daniel Sellers
I am an undergrad student working on a personal research project involving aeronautics. For the purposes of my project I have found that I need a fabric with a specific strength (tensile strength over density) of greater than 130 kNm/kg which is can be made air-tight.
Kevlar, Zylon and Spectra fibers are among the few textiles I've found which meet the strength-to-weight requirements.
I have seen reference to zylon and spectra being used in parachute and sail materials and I was hoping someone here could give me more information (any and all information would be appreciated) regarding how these materials are made to be completely air-tight and/or what materials need to be added to them to do so.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do they use for car airbags? Space suits?

Likes berkeman
Air bags use woven nylon and space suits use a number of different materials including kevlar and nylon.
The issue is that nylon is not strong enough compared to its density. Perhaps I need a layered nylon/kevlar material as well

Likes JBA
The suggested Hyperlast site is also a good primer on the types of materials for applications similar to that in which you are interested.

Last edited:
As I understand it high tech sails use a laminate of woven and sheet materials. Will affect the strength/weight ratio though.

There are three things to combine.
1. A high strength fabric.
2. A film to make it airtight. Consider Mylar, high strength biaxially oriented PET film.
3. An external protection layer such as metallisation to increase lifetime in UV.
This page covers several points. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoPET#Manufacture_and_properties

Related to Air-tight, High Specific-Strength Textiles

1. What are air-tight, high specific-strength textiles?

Air-tight, high specific-strength textiles are fabrics that have been specially designed to have a high strength-to-weight ratio, while also being impermeable to air. This means they are lightweight and strong, and can effectively block the passage of air through the fabric.

2. What makes these textiles different from regular textiles?

The key difference between air-tight, high specific-strength textiles and regular textiles is their unique construction and materials. These textiles are made using advanced techniques and high-performance materials such as synthetic fibers, coatings, and laminates, which give them their exceptional strength and air-tightness.

3. What are the potential applications of air-tight, high specific-strength textiles?

These textiles have a wide range of potential applications, including in the aerospace industry for the construction of lightweight and durable aircraft components, in the military for protective gear and equipment, and in the medical field for specialized clothing and equipment for patients with respiratory conditions.

4. How are these textiles tested for their air-tightness and strength?

Air-tight, high specific-strength textiles undergo rigorous testing to ensure their performance meets industry standards. This can include tests such as air permeability testing, tensile strength testing, and abrasion resistance testing.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using these textiles?

While air-tight, high specific-strength textiles have many advantages, they may also have some drawbacks. These can include higher cost due to the use of specialized materials and techniques, as well as potential limitations in breathability and comfort compared to regular textiles.