Air Pressure Equation for DIY Pressure Sensor

In summary, the conversation revolves around a college project involving the creation of a pressure sensor using an air pressure equation. The sensor will consist of a PVC pipe, water, and an airtight compartment with a contact resistor and buzzer. The participants discuss different equations, including Pascal's equation and van der Waals equation, to calculate air pressure. They also consider the length of the equations and seek advice from others on the most accurate option.
scabsareus
Hi I was wondering,
I have a project in college where i am asked to make a sensor of some sort, i then proceded to make plans and decided on a pressure sensor, i have looked everywhere for an air pressure equation that i could use involving the density of air and the volume of the pvc pipe i will be using, basically some water will rise into the pvc pipe and create pressure by pushing the air into an airtight compartment that will then in turn continue to push up a contact resistor attatched to a buzzer (ratios of the decibels will be read and i will make ratios of decibels to air pressure) to put it simply.
If anyobne has a clue please respond
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i have found that pascals equation might do it, involving volume, density of the air and temperature.
but i still can't find the arrangement, does anyone know?

wan der waals equation will be more prescise...

thanks man, that might just do it, i will have to verify that with my teacher, if there asre still less length equations could anyone tell me but I am sure this should do fine

less lengthy*
:blushing: bad typing

Related to Air Pressure Equation for DIY Pressure Sensor

1. What is the air pressure equation?

The air pressure equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the force exerted by the weight of air in a given area. It is typically represented as P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force, and A is the area.

2. How is air pressure measured?

Air pressure is measured using a device called a barometer. There are two main types of barometers - mercury and aneroid. Mercury barometers use the height of a column of mercury to measure pressure, while aneroid barometers use a sealed, flexible metal chamber.

3. What factors affect air pressure?

The main factors that affect air pressure are temperature, altitude, and the amount of water vapor in the air. As temperature increases, air molecules move faster and take up more space, resulting in lower pressure. Higher altitudes also have lower air pressure due to the thinner atmosphere. Water vapor can also impact air pressure as it adds mass to the air.

4. How does air pressure change with altitude?

Air pressure decreases as altitude increases. This is because at higher altitudes, there are fewer air molecules above a given area, resulting in less weight and therefore less pressure. This relationship is described by the equation P = P0e^(-Mgh/RT), where P0 is the pressure at sea level, M is the molar mass of air, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

5. Why is air pressure important?

Air pressure is important for many reasons. It plays a crucial role in weather patterns and can help predict changes in the atmosphere. It also affects the behavior of gases and fluids, such as in the human body. Understanding air pressure is important for many scientific fields, including meteorology, aviation, and climatology.