Air humidification using filter(s)

• Thread starter Masis Shahbazians
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the author is trying to find ways to humidify the inlet air for a fuel cell without using filter-like materials. He is considering using a paper and an impermeable material to humidify the air. The problem is that the air must flow at a fast speed and the pressure drop for the fan must be 1300 Pascal. A diagram or picture of the fuel cell would be helpful.
Masis Shahbazians
hello, I have a small project to made and one of the problems is humidifying the inlet air for a fuel cell with open cathod.
I can't use Perma-pure technology or similar things, because there are no tubes in which the air flows; it goes directly inside one of the faces of the fuell cell and comes out the other way thanks to a small fan.

I thought of using one or two layers of materials to humidify it.
These layers would go near the face of the fuel cell in which the air goes in, but they have to remain at least 1 centimeter distant to the fuel cell so they don't touch it.
The problem starts now:
1) the first layer must be a sort of paper with the under part immerged in a bowl of,say, 2 cm full of water, so by capillarity this paper will absorb water and remain completely wet.
The air will flow through it and humidify 100% itself.
2) the second layer must be an impermeable-to-water material, like goretex; it has to not let water droplets through, but let pass the air 100% humidified. This is because the air, passing through the first layer, could remove some drops of water that in no way must reach and touch the face of the fuel cell.

I don't know what materials take, I searched but did not find the right ones.
The face of the fuel cell to cover is 18x21 cm, the air must flow at 10 cm/s and the maximum pressure drop that the fan can sustain is 1300 Pascal.

Thanks to all of you that can help me

Engineering news on Phys.org
A diagram or picture of the fuel cell might be helpful too as there may be other ways to humidify without filter-like materials.

http://fuelcellstore.com/fuel-cell-stacks/medium-power-fuel-cell-stacks/horizon-500watt-fuel-cell-h-500
this is the one that i will use

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Air humidification using filter(s)

1. What is air humidification using filters?

Air humidification using filters is a process by which moisture is added to the air to increase its humidity level. This is typically done using specialized filters that release water vapor into the air, increasing the moisture content.

2. How does air humidification using filters work?

Air humidification using filters works by passing dry air through a filter that contains water. The water is then evaporated into the air, increasing its moisture content. Some filters also use a fan to help circulate the moist air into the surrounding environment.

3. What are the benefits of air humidification using filters?

There are several benefits of air humidification using filters. It can help alleviate symptoms of dry air, such as dry skin and eyes, as well as respiratory issues. It can also help preserve furniture and wooden objects by preventing them from drying out. Additionally, it can help improve the overall air quality in a room.

4. Can air humidification using filters be harmful?

Air humidification using filters is generally considered safe for most people. However, it is important to properly maintain and clean the filters to prevent the growth of bacteria or mold. It is also important to monitor the humidity levels and not to over-humidify the air, which can lead to other health issues.

5. Are there different types of filters used for air humidification?

Yes, there are different types of filters used for air humidification. Some use evaporative technology, where water is evaporated into the air, while others use impeller or ultrasonic technology to create a fine mist of water droplets. It is important to choose the right type of filter based on your specific needs and the size of the room you are humidifying.