Air flow requirement of electrical enclosure

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the CFM requirement for a fan in an inverter enclosure made of 2mm thick CRCA sheet with fins at the bottom and a top hood. The inverter has a heat loss of 3000W according to the datasheet. It is suggested to consult a Mechanical or Chemical Engineer for accurate calculations, as the manufacturer of the inverter would have already done these calculations. Alternatively, the ASHRAE handbook and an engineering heat transfer textbook can be used for reference.
VRM
I am putting one inverter in enclosure made out of CRCA sheet of 2mm thick. Enclosure has fins at the bottom side and at top hood. Inverter heat loss as per datasheet is 3000W. Can somebody help to calculate CFM requirement of fan for given allowed temperature-rise and heat transfer by conduction through enclosure body.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Strictly this is more of a Mechanical Engineering question. Anything involving heat transfer is more frequented by MEs and ChemEs.

I've done these calculations before but they can get sufficiently involved that I'd probably never do them for free for anyone. You may want to try the ME or ChemE forums - these folks will be better at estimating off these kinds of things off the top of their heads than I or any EE can.

Honestly the easiest and most accurate answers will come from the manufacturer of the inverter and not a hand calculation by someone here. This is the kind of thing they should already have done, at least for still air rather than forced air cooling (the former is a more worst-case situation).

If you go it alone, I'd recommend a copy of the ASHRAE handbook for formulae and an engineering heat transfer textbook for explanations. All this is why I defer to my ME brethren (and sistern/cistern) when I can for heat transfer questions (my own or others').

Related to Air flow requirement of electrical enclosure

1. What is the purpose of determining the air flow requirement of an electrical enclosure?

The air flow requirement of an electrical enclosure is important in order to ensure that the internal temperature of the enclosure does not exceed the recommended operating temperature of the electrical components inside. This helps to prevent overheating and potential damage to the components, which can lead to malfunctions or even fires.

2. How is the air flow requirement of an electrical enclosure calculated?

The air flow requirement of an electrical enclosure is typically calculated based on the amount of heat generated by the electrical components inside, as well as the size and design of the enclosure. This calculation takes into account factors such as the ventilation openings, the type of cooling system being used, and the ambient temperature of the environment where the enclosure will be located.

3. What are some common methods for achieving proper air flow in an electrical enclosure?

There are a few different methods that can be used to ensure proper air flow in an electrical enclosure. One common approach is to use fans or other forced air cooling systems to circulate cool air into the enclosure and exhaust hot air out. Another method is to design the enclosure with adequate ventilation openings to allow for natural air flow. Additionally, some enclosures may also utilize heat sinks or thermal insulation materials to help dissipate heat.

4. How can I determine if an electrical enclosure has enough air flow?

The best way to determine if an electrical enclosure has enough air flow is to monitor the internal temperature of the enclosure using a thermometer or temperature sensor. The temperature should not exceed the recommended operating temperature of the electrical components. If it does, then additional air flow may be needed to keep the components cool.

5. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when determining the air flow requirement of an electrical enclosure?

Yes, there are a few safety considerations to keep in mind when determining the air flow requirement of an electrical enclosure. It is important to ensure that the air flow does not create any hazards, such as blowing dust or debris onto sensitive components. Additionally, the electrical components inside the enclosure should be properly insulated and protected from any potential contact with the air flow, as this could cause damage or malfunctions.