Air flow pipe size reduction|Incompressible&Lossless COMPLETED ANSWER

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a horizontal air duct with changing dimensions and a constant mass flow rate. The summary includes calculations for the pressure change and justification for whether the incompressible assumption is valid. It also mentions the calculation of the force transmitted when the jet exits the smaller pipe and strikes a vertical wall.
DylanW

Homework Statement

Q4. A horizontal air duct reduces from 0.75 m2
to 0.20 m2
a) Assuming no losses and an incompressible fluid, what pressure change will occur when 6 kg/s
of air flows through the duct? Use a density of 3.2 kg/m3
for these conditions.
b) Is the incompressible assumption justified?
c) If the jet exits the smaller pipe and strikes a vertical wall, what force will it transmit?

Homework Equations

MassFlowRate = rho.V.A
Bernoullis

The Attempt at a Solution

rho(A).Velocity(A).Area(A)=mass flowate therefore Velocity(A) = 2.5
Mass Flow Rate is Constant
rho(A).Velocity(A).Area(A)=rho(B).Velocity(B).Area(B) therefore Velocity(B) = 9.375
Bernoullis - can't be bothered typing original equation will just type final rearrangement
Pressure(A) - Pressure(B) = [(Velocity(B)^2 - Velocity(A)^2)Rho]/2 which equals 130.625 Pascals pressure difference. Seems a bit low?

For part b, is the incompressible assumption justified? I don't think that it is, because it's density it is a gas and would definitely compress which may explain the results from part A?

For Part C) I'm not so sure of this, I think it would be the Absolute pressure over the area of the Jet so (x Pascals / 0.2 m^2) but I am not sure how to find the absolute pressure, only the difference. Thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
For Part C, I've used the equation P(Dynamic) = [rho.V^2]/2 giving a dynamic pressure of 140.625 Pa and verifying my answer from part 1. Then Using P=F/A -> F = PA I've calculated a force of 28.125N. I am worried that I am ignoring static pressure but I can't see any other way with the information provided.

Related to Air flow pipe size reduction|Incompressible&Lossless COMPLETED ANSWER

1. What is the purpose of reducing the size of an air flow pipe?

Reducing the size of an air flow pipe is done to increase the velocity of the air flow. This is important in certain applications, such as HVAC systems, where high velocity air flow is necessary for efficient distribution of air throughout a building.

2. How does the size reduction affect the pressure of the air flow?

According to the continuity equation, when the size of a pipe is reduced, the velocity of the air flow increases. This increase in velocity results in a decrease in pressure, as described by Bernoulli's principle. However, for incompressible and lossless flows, the total energy of the system remains constant.

3. Is there an optimal size reduction for maximum air flow velocity?

Yes, there is an optimal size reduction that will result in the maximum air flow velocity. This can be calculated using the continuity equation, which takes into account the initial and final pipe sizes, as well as the corresponding air flow velocities.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to reducing the size of an air flow pipe?

While reducing the size of an air flow pipe can increase velocity and improve efficiency, it can also increase the pressure drop in the system. This can lead to an increase in energy consumption and potentially cause issues with the functionality of certain components, such as fans or motors.

5. How does the incompressibility and losslessness of the air flow affect the size reduction process?

Incompressible and lossless air flow refers to the assumption that air is not compressed or expanded and that there is no energy loss in the system. This simplifies the calculation process for determining the optimal size reduction, as it allows for the use of equations such as the continuity and Bernoulli's equations.